Madison’s Print & Resist festival shows print still has more to say

Media artists from around Upper Midwest use their chosen medium to promote political causes
Print+%26+resist.+
Contributed by Print & Resist.
Print & resist.

Though the Internet age and digital media revolution may have declared the medium of print all but dead, Madison’s Print & Resist festival has found more than a few ways to revive it.

Formerly called the Madison Zinefest, the festival promotes an artistic platform for a wide range of print media artists who create everything from zines, journals, books and experimental publications.

Print & Resist will take place Oct. 31, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Madison’s downtown public library.

The “print” in the festival’s title refers to the political content displayed in literary publications, while the “resist” signifies pushing back against the digital age by celebrating these so-called “old school” pieces of art.

This day-long festival previously took place on campus in the Helen C. White building, but has relocated to the public library for the past year.

The festival’s venue and name change have created a larger and more dynamic environment for artists to work in.

The location next to the Capitol has led to both a rise in attendance and greater variation in exhibitors. In previous years, art students created the majority of the pieces on display, but the central location now encourages more artists from outside the university community to contribute.

When exhibitors, the organizers prefer keeping it local — most contributors come from the Upper Midwest. With the festival mantra “the personal is political,” exhibits tend to focus on political ideas surrounding feminism, equality and the LGBTQ community.

Co-organizer Sarah Rogers has helped organize the event for three years.

“A lot of people will create very personal art or share their own narrative zines,” Rogers said. “Just the act of giving voice to individuals who aren’t often heard is in itself a political act.”

“Zinester” Em McCarty focuses her graphic novel on a mother who lives in a dystopian future, and touches on many of the less talked about aspects of motherhood.

“My comic tries to touch on community, food, fear and hope,” McCarty said. “To keep trying to change the world despite how you are viewed and judged, even despite the odds you are up against.”

Writer and artist Dan S. Wang’s work focuses entirely on political issues — giving voice especially to the left.

“Even in the most direct works, I try to expand the thinking about our political conditions, and try to present some fresh or unexpected angle on a political position that too often falls into predictability,” Wang said.

Along with this larger selection of exhibitors, Print & Resist will also feature an interactive gallery space on the library’s third floor. The space will contain more prints, some installation art and ongoing hands-on opportunities.

Exhibitors who are interested will host DIY workshops throughout the day that include book and zine making. People are encouraged to come with their own ideas, but may also be provided with prompts.

Facilitators also frequently construct collaborative zines, where each person generates a page or part of the zine. Rogers described this as “a zine version of the game exquisite corpse.”

While the print medium may not carry the clout it once did with the backing of a festival like Print & Resist, it seems the printed page still has a few more things to say.