Cherub pumps up college crowd at larger venue

After selling out at Majestic for two years straight, the duo’s move to larger Orpheum might not be conducive for their sound

When Cherub’s concert dates were announced this summer, many college kids eagerly purchased more tickets than they needed, acknowledging the fact that both of the band’s concerts sold out in the past two years. They figured they’d make a profit, selling them to desperate last-minute concert goers.

But despite their dutiful planning, many who followed this tactic lost cash rather than gained it.

This is because this year, Cherub performed at Orpheum Theater, which is significantly larger than the Majestic Theatre Cherub has raged at in the past.

Though it provided a beautiful stage, Orpheum might not have been the best place to get the full Cherub experience. The sticky close quarters of Majestic much better suited the band’s woozy lyrics and hip electronics.

While the array of rainbow psychedelic lighting effectively augmented the band’s trippy sound, the duo didn’t need such an expansive space. Lead singer Jordan Kelley sauntered back and forth across the stage awkwardly to cover the champagne-soaked stage’s ground — not a practice of bands with more members.

But what Cherub lacks in size, they make up for in energy.

Before Cherub could woo the audience, electronic duo Hippie Sabotage offered a half-baked attempt to warm up the audience first.

While the California brothers, known for their remix of “Stay High,” push out some killer tracks, their live performance failed to reflect it.

Instead, their too heavy bass lines, hoarse shouting and freaky behavior only led to an overly hostile crowd rather than priming them for Cherub’s smoother melodies. Luckily, a much needed intermission between acts helped tame the crowd and minimize the damage.

Far from their first visit to Madison, Cherub knew what audience they were catering to. Hyped college kids flocked to the front of the stage, while some were scattered in the half-empty upper balcony. But despite the oversized venue, the entire audience was definitely feeling it.

The duo did not take a breath for one second, quickly opening with groovy “Disco Shit,” a favorite from their 2014 album Year of the Caprese, rolling into each following track without a hitch.

While they scattered lesser-known songs throughout their setlist, the crowd voiced their enthusiasm for favorites such as “Freaky Me, Freaky You,” a haunting jam that showcases Jason Huber’s electric guitar talents.

They pumped up the crowd for what felt like hours — though appropriately dousing the front row in a champagne shower — taking selfies, with Kelley even ridiculously rolling on the ground at one point in preparation for their encore.

To the crowd of solely college kids all too excited to hear their favorite pregame jam, “Doses and Mimosas,” the band said the audience was the “rowdiest” they had seen on their tour this year.

But the dramatic build-up to the iconic “Doses and Mimosas” was worth it in the end as the audience vibed with the hit that best represents Cherub’s undying legacy in Madison.