The Madison Blind offers pleasing plates with stunning vistas to match

Madison’s new rooftop restaurant/cocktail bar serves up modern take on Wisconsin fare
Meghan Horvath

The Madison Blind, a newly opened, Wisconsin-inspired small plates restaurant, proves that food tastes better when it’s eaten seven floors above ground level.

Located atop the reconstructed Graduate Hotel on Langdon Street, last month’s opening of this restaurant and cocktail bar surprised Madisonians as a beautiful addition to the culinary scene.

Entry to the restaurant is a quick elevator ride up to the seventh floor of the hotel. The darker, more adorned decor of both the hotel’s lobby and elevator dramatizes the effect of the bright views and modern atmosphere of The Madison Blind.

The restaurant resembles an oasis of sorts in its simplicity and its stunning views of Lake Mendota and the city below. Though unknown to many, The Madison Blind is often bustling with those who’ve discovered the gem.

The restaurant’s staff matches the warm panoramic view. Servers are prompt, but don’t rush you through the meal. The management also seems to genuinely care about customers and makes efforts to amend any dissatisfaction.

The aesthetics of the space alone are enough to keep customers coming back. But with a strong selection of impressive dishes, desserts and craft cocktails to boot, rave reviews from dining guests are certain.

In terms of what to order, the crispy shrimp certainly satisfy the crave for crustaceans. Listed as one of the “snacks” on the menu, the shrimp are prepared with chilies and cilantro and are toasted to a golden crunch. The avocado sauce served alongside the flavorful shrimp is a fine accompaniment that delivers a smooth, cooling texture to suit the crispy, spiced shrimp.

The elk poutine is another distinguished item. The small plate is composed of fries doused with elk gravy and topped with cheese curds. Though the listed ingredients sound heavy, the dish is appropriately portioned. The amount of food may be less, but there is no sacrifice in intense flavor. Not to mention, elk is rather lean and lower in fat than most other red meats. Eat up.

The venison meatballs are also a wise selection. The blackberry jam contributes a subtle undertone of sweetness set against the more robust heartiness of cheddar cheese. Mop up the great tastes with grilled ciabatta and satisfaction is guaranteed.

For an adventurous large plate option, the veggie burger offers a more creative take on the traditional carnivorous burger. Made with quinoa, black beans and roasted red pepper, meat is hardly missed. If the ingredients of the burger itself aren’t enough, the avocado puree that rests under the gluten free bun will please those who desire a more dressed and flavored burger.

With ingredients locally sourced from Capri Cheese, Elderberry Hill Farm, Madison Sourdough and New Century Farm, this latest dining option succeeds on the menu.

Combined with its admirable service and the beauty of its locale, The Madison Blind is a welcome addition to the neighborhood.