Avett Brothers slay instruments at unintentionally fiery outside gig

Folk rockers played to enthralled crowd Friday night — despite unrelated yet conspicuous car fire just beyond Breese Stevens Field

This past Friday, The Avett Brothers played an insane show at Breese Stevens Field. The folk-jam rockers brought their A-game from the first second they came on stage until after they walked off with heads held high.

Marissa Haegele/The Badger Herald

The night started out with a bang … literally. It must have been an omen for their “straight fire” set because a car burst into flames just as they started, which was a completely separate occurrence from the show.

Thankfully, everyone was safe and the Madison Fire Department lucked out because they got to put out a fire to some great live music.

UK’s Glass Animals finds inspiration for eccentric sound in midnight muses

The Avett Brothers polarized their performance by jamming to up-tempo tracks, slowing things down with one of their folk ballads and then getting everyone up on their feet dancing again.

They even had everyone groovin’ to the theme song of “The Jeffersons,” which probably only appealed to the “above 40” crowd.

Marissa Haegele/The Badger Herald

In the midst of playing their hits, Avett Brothers all got a chance to prove to the audience they  could seriously play their instruments. Scott Avett was jumping from instrument to instrument, killing it on all fronts. He mainly fiddles with his banjo, but maybe the most notable moment in the show was his harmonica solo where he rolled his tongue to hit a slew of notes.

But all of the solos can’t go unmentioned because they were all too stellar to comprehend. The musicianship of each member was magnificent and they all had their equal time to shine on stage.

Zola Jesus mesmerizes audience with dramatic Madison show

In addition to individual members’ solos, everyone contributed to vocal harmonies comparable to The Eagles.

When it comes to the Avett Brothers, it’s their chemistry as a live band that makes them such an enjoyable act to see. Watching them have fun on stage makes their show an incredible experience, and a viewer who doesn’t know their music can have just as much fun as a long-time fan.