DLUX redefines traditional keg with kooky cocktails

Beverages like Double Fina Margarita — pink, citrusy, carbonated — make other drinks seem like game day tailgate fodder
Dlux
Flickr user Protocol Photography
Dlux

Kegs are no longer exclusive to game day tailgates and the basements of frat houses. They now are making their way onto the menus of upscale restaurants and into the hearts of those who wouldn’t be caught dead paying $5 for a plastic cup.

At Madison’s DLUX, kegged cocktails are a huge hit and a great deal. They are made in large batches ahead of time and then put under pressure and served from a tap like a beer. Kegging a cocktail keeps it fresh — unlike other drinks made in large batches — and creates a drink that is consistent throughout, so that the whole experience will taste just as good as the first sip.

Cali Fresh food cart brings Golden State to Library Mall

The convenient, no-nonsense way these drinks are served isn’t an accurate reflection of what they’re all about, though. They are loaded with fresh, house-made ingredients like spicy ginger beer and tonic, and feature whatever alcohol you please.

A personal favorite is the Double Fina Margarita, a citrusy pink drink that’s slightly carbonated — thanks to the pressure of the keg — and has enough blue agave tequila in it to give patrons a buzz. Plus, they pair perfectly with one of DLUX’s top-of-the-line burgers.

Go beyond cheese curds, PBR with these top 10 Madison meals

If not feeling tequila, their gin and tonic is so simple and classic it’s genius — house-made tonic and fresh lime make the drink so crisp and refreshing that any bitter alcohol aftertaste is drowned. Make the trek to DLUX this weekend to start off the night: have a drink, admire the Capitol and take a second to thank DLUX for making the keg something to get excited about again.