Vance Joy serenades sold-out Barrymore, debuts new song live

Icelandic openers bring big voices, diverse songs
Hayley Sperling

Wednesday nights may typically be filled with ennui and the longing for Friday, but this Wednesday, Australian singer-songwriter James Keogh, better known as Vance Joy, serenaded a sold-out Barrymore with songs of love, happiness and melancholy.

Before Vance Joy could take the stage, however, the Icelandic opener, Kaleo, wooed audience members with crooning songs that seemed to transcend any genre. Though the group has only released two singles in the U.S., their set was dynamic and put the audience members in the mood to dance and sing all night long.

Kaleo got the audience going with sharp lyrics and strong voices.
Hayley Sperling/The Badger Herald

Kaleo’s frontman, JJ Juliusson, stole the show with a voice that could range from high pitched whistles to deep cries which could have come straight from the marshy lands of Muscle Shoals.

Juliusson’s stage presence and image were almost reminiscent of Elvis or Mick Jagger. Though initially timid, the group gained their confidence and left it all on the stage.  

When Vance Joy stepped out, the crowd, which ranged from young professionals to teens with middle-aged parents, erupted in cheers and big grins.

The crowd surprisingly sang along to almost every song, even Vance Joy’s new single “Straight into Your Arms,” which he debuted live that night.

His rapport with the audience was one of confidence, humor and gratitude. Before playing his hit song, “My Kind of Man,” Vance Joy shared with the audience his comical inspiration for the tune, which came from an uncle’s Facebook post of Lynyrd Skynyrd lyrics.

Vance Joy serenades a sold-out Barrymore crowd.
Hayley Sperling/The Badger Herald

One of the biggest highlights of the evening, however, was when Vance Joy dimmed the lights on the stage, changed his guitar (for what was probably the fifth time throughout the course of the show) and played a seamless rendition of Sam Smith’s “Stay With Me.” The audience, even the parents of the teens in the front row, took over the chorus as Vance Joy took a step back and watched in amazement as they sang.

The song of the night, however, was Vance Joy’s chart-smashing, nonsensical single, “Riptide.” The crowd danced and jeered under the star-lit ceiling of the Barrymore as Vance Joy strummed his ukulele as he’s done so many times before.

Though the show ended before midnight, Vance Joy and Kaleo made an impact on listeners that will last far longer than the show’s four hours.