Stellar pumpkin spice lattes without a corporate aftertaste

Local cafes prove PSLs don’t just belong at Starbucks
Erik Brown

With the changing of seasons comes the inevitably increased consumption of pumpkin spice lattes.

To get one, most would automatically visit the birthplace of these frothy symbols of autumn — Starbucks. But little known to some, local coffee shops will also oblige a request for this seasonal staple.

While Starbucks baristas encourage and even revel in PSL consumption, the baristas at local coffee shops often scoff at them. 

The fact pumpkin spice lattes were not visible on the menus at any of the following cafes didn’t help matters. Covertly asking, “Do you guys do the PSL?” felt more like a drug order than a request for a caffeinated beverage.

But I subjected myself to the public shaming, and I’d advise you do the same. Break the stigma because pumpkin spice lattes are hella great.

Espresso Royale

Bold, brilliant and beautiful, Espresso Royale’s frontrunner PSL puts Starbucks to shame. Without a doubt, this latte is crafted with the intention of tasting like fall. From the first sip, pumpkin spice and cinnamon combine to distinguish themselves as the body of this latte.

Their flavor shot is much less of an afterthought than other cafes, and the drink has a soothing quality as well. As it goes down, the spices prickle the mouth in the best possible way.

Colectivo

Meghan Horvath/The Badger Herald

Colectivo serves up the best of downtown’s PSLs. Their version achieves a delicate balance between its sweet creaminess and undertone of sharp coffee notes. Perfection. 

No aspect of the drink is overwhelming, but it supplies an impressive heartiness. Colectivo serves an 8-ounce serving of the drink with a subtle caffeine jolt and a more reasonable dose of sugar than its 12-ounce Starbucks counterpart.

Coffee Bytes

Coffee Bytes’ PSL goes down smooth. Their version of the latte is liberal in its use of steamed milk, which makes the customized milk choice important. The request isn’t fussy; the baristas at Coffee Bytes take home the trophy in their willingness to make accommodations.

While 2 percent, skim and soy are all options, almond milk is recommended. Its nuttiness pairs well with a touch of pumpkin spice syrup, allowing the robust fall flavors to stand out.

Fair Trade Coffee House

Meghan Horvath/The Badger Herald

Again, pumpkin spice is not a featured menu item, but ask nicely and Fair Trade’s rocking baristas will be happy to accommodate. In sum, their PSL variation is heavy on the dairy. The initial foam subsides to reveal a cup of virtually straight-up whole milk.

Easy to sip on, the drink will please those who are less fond of a strong coffee taste, but neither their pumpkin syrup nor the lingering aftertaste were all that agreeable.