Who the f*** is playing Freakfest?

Annual Halloween celebration usually books banger-producing badasses like Mac Miller, but this year the pop-country mix may not fly
Those+crazy+kids.+
Joey Reuteman
Those crazy kids.

The self-proclaimed “biggest and best [lineup]” in Freakfest history leaves many with a three letter response: WTF?

Last week the largest annual Halloween bash in the Midwest, Freakfest, released its 2015 lineup, listing Timeflies, Chase Rice and MisterWives as headliners.

As Freakfest closes in on its 10th anniversary, this year’s lineup is nothing short of disappointment and confusion.

Since its introduction in 2006, Freakfest has featured a number of well-known performers, both on a national and local level, drawing in crowds that extend beyond the lines of Dane County. In part with the Madison-based booking and production company — Frank Productions — the Halloween fest has brought in names such as Mac Miller, Matt and Kim, Atmosphere and Cage the Elephant.

In light of the usually coherent and exciting line-up, many of us are left to question: what happened this year? 

Though the pop duo, Timeflies, is well-known by the Madison population and will surely pack a crowd, they are not impressive enough to be listed as the main attraction. As opposed to the principally hip-hop headers that have played in years past, Timeflies leans toward the “pop” genre — in fact, maybe too “pop” to be playing in a festival environment.

Combine that pop sound with their nearly too frequent visits to Madison, and you get nothing special or worth standing in a congested crowd of drunken students to see.

Falling second to Timeflies on this year’s list is country artist, Chase Rice. 

With Freakfest’s storied hip-hop and alternative past, it seems odd that a snapback and six-pack wheeling country boy would be headlining. 

Understandably, bringing in some musical diversity is good, but this seems really far-fetched. The public looks to Freakfest as a “turn up” environment, and nothing kills the wild party vibes quite like country.

Granted, a country set does generally consist of unruly drinking, making it at least somewhat sensible for the occasion.

But it also generally involves banjos, lawn chairs and drunken parents — a few things up for question when put in line with fellow headliners.

Listed third on the bill is New York-based, pop-indie band, MisterWives: otherwise known as the only headliner that makes some sense. The band has been playing a streak of major music festivals over the course of the summer and has an upbeat, feel-good sound fit for the occasion.

But, MisterWives are also playing a free show here in Madison tonight at the Majestic, so why pay to see them again one month later? 

Though the lineup may leave students dazed and confused, Freakfest and its legions of costumed patrons will surely not disappoint; after all, there will be nothing more “freaky” than the many Miley Cyrus impersonators bound to fill State Street Oct. 31.