Taste of Madison celebrates summer’s end with local food, drinks

Despite heat, Madison residents again flocked to Taste to embrace their inner cheesehead

Though the days were sun-drenched and stifling, it didn’t stop residents from partaking in some local cheesehead culture at Taste of Madison this past weekend.

The 33rd Taste, which took place on Capitol Square Saturday and Sunday, featured more than 89 food vendors and 35 musical acts. The festival, one of Madison’s biggest events, offered a vibrant display of local offerings to entertain visitors for the whole weekend.

“We have such a great variety of food options around Madison, and they’re all on display today,” said Brodie Birkle, spokesperson for Madison Festivals, the group that hosts the event. “Whether you like cheesecakes or cheese curds, there’s nothing you can’t find here.”

Not only was the food eclectic; the people were, too. Festival goers from all walks of life — students, professors, young, old and those from out of town —  enjoyed mouth-watering food, refreshing beer and booming live music.

Marissa Haegele/The Badger Herald

“We love seeing all the smiles, and having people stop and tell us how great of a job we’ve done setting this all up,” Birkle said. “We’ve got such a great opportunity for people to come, enjoy some music and look for any kind of food you can imagine.”

Though Taste is oriented toward local offerings, people from across the Midwest came to enjoy a taste of America’s dairyland.

“People contact us from as far out as Indiana for information on the vendors and musical acts we have lined up almost every year,” Birkle said.

The diverse nature of Taste is what makes it best. On one side of the Capitol, attendees headbanged while enjoying a hard rock show, as if they belonged at a more hardcore event. But across the courtyard, easy-going country musicians performed a concert for families sprawled out on the Capitol Lawn.

Taste is a worthwhile opportunity for students to venture off campus, even if that only means a brief stroll down State Street. It also serves as an ideal event to show friends and family what Madison has to offer.

While walking around with family and friends and enjoying the festival happenings, relax and embrace some good old Wisconsin pride.