Three weekend getaways for wanderlust students

We’ve listed some of the best destinations in the Midwest for a quick getaway before hitting the books
Chicago
Photo courtesy of flickr user Bryan Edwards
Chicago

The college lifestyle, while immensely rewarding, can often grow tiresome and monotonous. When beers and power lectures become less and less of a thrill, fear not. Here are the most accessible weekend getaways that offer a change of pace and a sense of what’s beyond campus:

Chicago

This cosmopolitan city only 140 miles away is in constant flux, though the bread and butter culture of this classic Midwestern mecca remains the same. Here are some ideas for the perfect budget Chicago weekend:

1. Take the Van Galder (or Megabus) to Union Station. The one-way fare is often less than $25, but early Friday morning buses might have single digit fares.

2. The material excess of overcrowded Michigan Avenue fails to provide any glimpse at the real Chicago. Instead, steer clear and head west on the “L” Chicago’s above-ground metro, to Oak Park for a full day of cultural assimilation.

• Take a tour of Frank Lloyd Wright’s home at 951 Chicago Ave. At $17 for adults and $14 for students, this hour-long tour isn’t cheap, but does offer a glimpse into Wright’s home and studio where many of his ideas came to fruition.
  • For lunch, visitors won’t have to travel far to hit up Johnnie’s Italian Beef for one of the best succulent sandwiches in Chicagoland. Warning: it’s cash only.

3. If one goes before Labor Day, the unofficial end to Chicago beach season, Oak Street Beach, a haven for runners, swimmers and sunbathers alike, is sure to deliver.  

4. Visit the unfrequented Lakeview neighborhood, the birthplace of Charlie Chaplin and one of Chicago’s liveliest neighborhoods. See the Athenaeum Theater, a small, classically designed venue. In between children’s ballerina productions, there may be a writers panel, Neil Simon production or Internet cat video festival, so check the schedule.

Kettle Moraine State Forest, Wisconsin

This glaciated area, containing just about everything an outdoor enthusiast looks for in an expedition, is close enough to be a feasible weekend trip. Located roughly 60 miles east of Madison, the forest is divided into two areas, the Northern and Southern Units.

The Northern, a rural and spacious landscape, includes more than 75 miles of hiking trails, snowmobile and equestrian trails and two campgrounds at Mauthe and Long Lake. The area also includes a large section of the Ice Age Trail in the Southern Unit.

For those who like backpacking, there are three hike-in shelters in the Southern unit that promise seclusion, save for the decent cell reception. 

St. Paul, Minnesota

St. Paul, Minneapolis’ smaller, eastern twin, contains enough to entertain any culturally inclined weekender. Although the four hour trip is a bit long, one of America’s most literate cities is certainly worth the trip.

1. While not blessed with the convenience of Chicago’s public transportation, St. Paul’s fewer square miles make Uber and buses doable, and with the recent addition of the light rail’s green line from Target Center to Union Depot downtown, it’s possible to traverse most of the city without much hassle.

2. In the downtown Riverfront area along the Mississippi River sits the the Science Museum of Minnesota, containing a world of relevant, quirky content, like Body Worlds and Tutankhamen.

Also in the neighborhood is the Xcel Energy Center, blessed with excellent acoustics for a facility of its size. Often a stop on tours of some of the biggest names in entertainment, the stadium is also home to the Minnesota Wild and various outdoors festivals.

3. Grand Avenue, seemingly straight out of a Woody Allen movie, has enough bourgeois bliss to give even Minneapolis a run for its money. Familiar chains J. Crew and Caribou have locations on Grand, but what draws visitors are eclectic places like The Wild Onion, Izzy’s Ice Cream and Sixth Chamber Used Books.

4. Mancini’s is a must for any foodie. With some of the best charcoal grilled steaks in the cities, this bastion of St. Paul cuisine won’t disappoint.

Updated September 7, 2015.