Twin Shadow bonds with Majestic crowd through cocktails, 80s-inspired jams

Swarthy Dominican-American frontman George Lewis, Jr. leads nostalgic, upbeat performance Tuesday night
Jason Chan

The Majestic was unsettlingly calm as Tuesday night’s festivities for Twin Shadow began.

Quiet hipsters either awkwardly tapped their tall boys or clustered at the stage’s precipice; a few younger fangirls scanned their social media on the railings; scattered VIPs occupied the trademark balconies.

But as the night progressed, the theatre would quickly fill with an eager audience beneath Twin Shadow’s pulsing lights and soulful croons.

Opener Erik Hassle was an unexpected treat for the few who occupied the floor when he strolled on stage. The Swedish artist has reached significant fame — largely in Britain — with his catchy soul-pop. Accompanied by a single keyboardist, Hassle wriggled and writhed in his blazer, white jeans and shirt, only revealing his thick European accent when occasionally addressing the scarce crowd.

Hassle’s performance made for an intimate display of high-quality musicality, with his first hit, “Hurtful,” from Pieces reverberating through the venue. Paired with his stage presence, passionate vocals and unrelenting eye contact, Hassle surely entranced those who watched him.

The Majestic literally shook when he began his arguably most popular track, “Talk About It,” featured on his 2014 EP Somebody’s Party in collaboration with Vic Mensa. His tatted partner elicited emotional electronic orchestration as Hassle serenaded concertgoers. He finished off the set with his recent single “No Words” before turning over the stage to his headliner.

By 9:30 p.m., the theater was humming with an audience anxious for their swarthy savior: George Lewis, Jr., the frontman of Twin Shadow.

Finally, he and his band emerged from the dark depths, Lewis in a flat-brim and leather jacket. He slung his guitar to his chest and dove into their biggest hit, “Five Seconds,” from 2012 album Confess. Lewis shredded his guitar while two synthesizing bandmates and a drummer sporting a magnificent manbun flanked him. A dramatic light show — including the drummer playing inside a glowing cube — enhanced the ’80s-inspired anthem.

After an enthusiastic bout of clapping, Lewis welcomed the crowd to his first show in Madison, before embarking on another hit: “Old Love/New Love.” Lewis professed, “This hurt even more than I expected it to do,” as the piano riff evolved into a symphony of sounds that could turn a tentative foot-tap into the jive.

“New wave” influences have always been prominent in Twin Shadow’s tracks, but admittedly can become repetitive and familiar when you hear them through earbuds. But Lewis’ presence — a steady, bittersweet crooner bringing his Dominican origins to the sounds of Blondie and Depeche Mode — bring much-needed personality to the synth-heavy jams.

After finishing up “I’m Ready,” a track off his most recent album Eclipse, Lewis admitted that Madisonians make some “hardcore Old Fashioned’s.” The crowd promptly cheered his charming inebriation and appreciation of Wisconsin’s favorite pass-time; perhaps it was good to get in their good graces before later revealing that he wasn’t sure what university Madison was home to.

Nevertheless, Twin Shadow knew what to play for his Sconnie audience. “Golden Light” came next, with synths that could manipulate a heartbeat rhythm and lights that reflected in his great beige headwear. Lewis even incorporated a brief guitar solo to refine the emotional track.

For his next “good guy” action, Lewis and the band wished someone on the merchandise team a happy birthday, which included an audience member bringing her a cake and candles.

He even went as far to connect with those who enjoy a little herbal refreshment, noting that he believed Madison to “consume a lot of the green stuff.”

Twin Shadow finished up their set with “To The Top” and the older “Slow,” providing a satisfying end to a wholly upbeat performance. Instead of desperate thirst and sore feet, the audience emerged with a joyful disposition and lyrics stuck in their heads.

From substance solidarity to an impromptu birthday celebration, George Lewis, Jr. and Twin Shadow made what could have been a remix of your father’s favorite “classics” station into a refreshing, passionate show.