Folk singer Joe Pug plays best Madison show yet Friday

With opener Field Report, Texas country artist proves his salt in diverse set backed with vibrant personality

The High Noon Saloon was packed wall-to-wall last Friday night. A flannel-donning audience eagerly awaited the distinctive folk and acoustic sounds of Joe Pug. Under the glow of red lights and the smell of PBR, Pug took the stage with his band. Whistles and cheers from the crowd made it clear Madison was ready to hear what Pug had to offer.

With a simple, “How are ya’ll doing tonight?” and a, “Thank you for having us,” Pug and his band broke into song, giving the High Noon classic acoustic music with poignant lyrics.

Chris Porterfield, of the Milwaukee-based band Field Report, opened the show and carried his emotionally charged vocals and simplistic acoustics with ease. Porterfield transformed the venue into a natural and relaxing environment, plucking on his guitar and filtering his voice through reverb.

Bodies swayed silently as his voice resonated across the room and tugged on the hearts of the intimate venue. Porterfield played songs from Field Report’s 2014 album, Marigolden, as well as their 2012 self-titled project. With just his guitar, passionate vocals and tragically beautiful lyrics, Porterfield hypnotized the audience and even prompted a few watery eyes.

Pug delivered a variety of acoustic, blue grass and country folk songs to the animated audience. The backing band featured an electric guitar, an upright bass and drums. Pug played guitar as well as the harmonica, which garnered particularly excited screams from the crowd. Songs from his 2010 and 2012 records, Messenger and The Great Despiser, combined with his newest album, Windfall, provided a full repertoire of Pug’s body of work.

Pug’s vibrant and hilarious personality was infectious. Even though his music was dark and emotionally heavy, he kept the mood alive and light-hearted between songs.

“Our new album is carrying over themes of past albums, which is some pretty heavy, dark shit. This is the last album that will remind you of your own mortality and that everyone around you will die,” he said at the concert.

The set felt balanced, mixing Pug’s upbeat and high-energy songs with the slower and moodier pieces. However, at times the guitar chords and bass lines seemed to blur into one another putting the set in a lull of repetitive songs. The solution came when the band exited the stage, leaving Pug and his guitar to fend for themselves. The songs Pug performed alone were personal and resonated with the crowd hauntingly well. Pug’s impassioned vocals in these tracks easily made up for the misgivings.

In January, Pug and his band played at the Barrymore Theatre with Devil Makes Three. Pug joked he and the band members haven’t left Madison since.

“We didn’t even fucking leave. We’ve made our own lives here. Mark is a personal aid to Scott Walker. Greg [Tuohey] has just been on the streets.” Pug said. “Me? I’ve been playing Third Eye Blind at open mic nights.”

Pug was a perfect fit for the High Noon Saloon. The backdrop of the brick walls and American old west decor made the venue feel like Pug’s hometown of Austin, Texas. The set stuck to its folk-country roots and Pug’s personality shined through the music.

It was hard not to smile when Pug cracked a joke or as the band danced around onstage. The whole show felt authentic, a product of hard work and experience. After playing an explosively catchy last song, Pug screamed into the mic in his distinctive Texan accent.

“You’ve been a wonderful audience. I can easily say this has been the best show we’ve played in Madison,” he said.