Cover bands, fans of all ages celebrate Johnny Cash at Majestic

Madisonians gather to honor Man in Black’s 83rd birthday Friday
Ricardo Zhang

Last Friday, a man’s voice erupted from the end of the line outside the Majestic: “Hey guys! I don’t know if you know this, but we’re not actually seeing Johnny Cash.”

A domino effect of laughter spread down the line, coming forth as what would be the running joke of the night. While people nationwide continue to miss old Cash, the Madison fan base took the opportunity to celebrate his monumental career with the Fourth Annual Johnny Cash Birthday Bash.

People were lined up outside the venue for an hour ahead of showtime to hail the Man in Black. Anticipation thickened the air as they took on the frigid weather for what was going to be a night of cover band performances.

A day after what would have been Cash’s 83rd birthday, Feb. 26, the eagerness of the waiting crowd was defined by the smell of cigars and light-hearted banter. The turnout for a few local cover bands paying homage to an icon was remarkable and uplifting.

While the majority of the crowd appeared to be in their late 50s or 60s, it was still a diverse crowd. With silver-haired men donning vintage Western dress shirts and cowboy hats, elderly couples side-by-side, middle-agers of rowdy yet carefree dispositions, young adults at the foot of the stage and quite enough PBR to go around, this crowd was like no other. Young, old or somewhere in between, the presence of youth was abundant, whether it was being re-lived or simply embraced.

Pleasantly casual and laid-back, the event was more like a party than a concert. The bash was exactly what it sounded like and an absolute hit. After a beautiful, mellow opener by Robby Schiller, the Driveway Thriftdwellers followed to open up with “Ring of Fire.” One of Cash’s better known songs, it was an instant hit with the crowd. Surprisingly for a group of young guys, the Thriftdwellers’ performance was rich and authentic.

Similarly, Evan Murdock and the Imperfect Strangers delivered a raw performance, the crooning deep bass of the front man sounding very much like Mr. Cash himself. Much to the audience’s delight, soloist Whitney Mann bounded onto the stage to salute June Carter Cash, singing her part in a few duet pieces. Together, Murdock and Mann brought back America’s sweethearts.

Finally, the featured Liam Ford Band took the stage, bringing down the house with yet another genuine, engaging display of respect for the Man in Black. Not only did the performing groups treat the audience with familiar tunes and nostalgic taste, but offered brief histories behind certain songs. For example the Driveway Thriftdwellers touched on the famous friendship between Cash and Bob Dylan from which emerged songs like “Big River.”

Each band exemplified Cash’s iconic crossover of country, rock n’ roll, folk and blues with their upbeat selections. The musicianship of all was impressively strong, complete with smooth vocals and a thumping bass that sent vibrations up through the ground. The younger folks sporadically danced at the front and the quiet joy of the older in back proved the bands to be a hit. They were an absolutely valuable group of artists to pay tribute to the marvelous Johnny Cash, pulling the bash off with flying colors. It’s safe to assume there’s a secure guarantee for a Fifth Annual Birthday Bash to come.

The Majestic’s one of a kind event was complete with the help of the crowd, a simple, passionate group gathering for drinks, a good time and a chance to honor one hell of a guy. With a successful night in the books, everyone inside the venue was feeling the love, and evidently missed old Johnny. One thing’s for sure —  he would have been damn proud.