What we’ll remember when we think of 2014

Thank God this terrible year is almost over
Columbia Records

Well, 2014 was, on the whole, a pretty shitty year. Ferguson, Ebola, Robin Williams dying, rape culture still being a thing, the worst Olympics in recent memory, ISIS, disappearing Malaysian planes, #GamerGate, lovable Television Dad Bill Cosby (maybe) being a terrible human being — Jesus, there is no good news that could occur within the next 21 days that would redeem this shit stain of a year.

Although black men and women have to fear for their lives on a daily basis, rape victims’ testimonies against their attackers are frequently disregarded and women suffer constant abuse from misogynistic neckbeards on the Internet, there was some good stuff about 2014. For instance, Taylor Swift released a pretty catchy album. That’s about it.

Years are always remembered by a short list of Really Important Things. In 2013, it was Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rob Ford and cultural appropriation. Here are our picks for the things that will define 2014 years many years from now.

Police brutality

The deaths of Eric Garner, Michael Brown and Tamir Rice — among others —prompted nationwide discussion about police brutality and racism in the United States. These killings and the subsequent grand jury decisions not to indict the police officers who committed the former two resulted in protests across country. As I type these words, brave souls across the United States are stopping traffic on major highways, sharing their voices with politicians and protesting in major metropolitan areas. It’s been a truth for decades now, but Jon Stewart said it loudly the day a grand jury decided not to indict Daniel Pantaleo for the death of Eric Garner: “We are definitely not living in a post-racial society.” At least this truth is finally getting the national attention it deserves. We live in a flawed country, people.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2014/12/04/uw-students-hold-vigil-outside-basketball-game-for-victims-of-police-brutality/

Gay marriage

But America isn’t completely fucked up. Gay marriage spread across the United States like wildfire this year. Nineteen states — including Wisconsin — legalized it, putting the total number of states with legalized same-sex marriage at 35. Love is awesome!

https://badgerherald.com/news/2014/10/09/wisconsin-joins-thirty-states-that-now-allow-gay-marriage/

“Bae”

People started saying this word a lot, and it was obnoxious, unless you were in a relationship and said this word a lot.

Ebola

Ebola proved itself to be this year’s swine flu when Americans started treating the disease like some sort of zombie apocalypse. The virus was responsible for nearly 7,000 deaths in West Africa. Naturally, Americans were alarmed, especially when a patient in Dallas was diagnosed with the disease. Suddenly, everyone was a little more concerned about washing their hands regularly. Obama appointed an Ebola czar. It was like the movie “Contagion.” Except the concern was completely overblown — the United States is not rural West Africa. This country has thousands of high-quality hospitals with trained medical professionals, meaning something like Ebola can be treated quickly upon diagnosis. Now, three months after that first United States case, few Americans are actively thinking about Ebola. I guess that’s how the world works.

Beyoncé

Beyoncé totally killed it this year. The Queen of Pop became 2014’s Most Important Artist when, at the tail end of 2013, she dropped her self-titled album on the iTunes Store with no prior notice. The album boasted singles “Drunk in Love,” “XO” and “***Flawless.” She schooled people on what feminism is all about. She repped the awesomeness of motherhood. She sang about giving Jay-Z a blowjob in the back of a limo. 2014 was Yoncé’s year.

Kim Kardashian’s ass

She put a cocktail glass on her booty and the Internet got really excited about it.