John Oliver switches up comedy routine by straying from T.V. persona, is unsuccessful

Despite pandering to local audience, mentioning Herald article, acclaimed comedian can’t pull off immature humor
Photo courtesy of Flickr user Chad Cooper
John Oliver at UB

Despite an embarrassing defeat and underwhelming performance by the British Empire some 200 plus years ago, professional funny-guy and Last Week Tonight host John Oliver had the cajones to stand in front of a group of Americans and tell his jokes. With his exceptional wit and charming British accent, John Oliver delivered a performance ripe with memorable moments but altogether failed to live up to expectations.

A packed Orpheum enthusiastically welcomed Mr. Oliver’s opener Brooks Wheelan, a “Saturday Night Live” cast member and youthful comic. The crowd’s eager devouring of his immature jokes made their unabashed excitement and anticipation evident. As he tossed about youthful anecdotes about feelin’ up his first fun-bag, getting blazed and watching the Hobbit and the mysteries of Ian’s Pizza, the surprisingly older Madison crowd generously hooted and hollered.

Brooks Wheelan delivered an exceptionally entertaining performance. Despite opening with the over-used Madison-is-the-best-city-let’s-get-hammered routine, Wheelan’s somewhat shaky start took a turn toward stellar, immaturely charming comedy. Flaunting his Iowan heritage and Midwestern persona proudly, Wheelan found common comedic ground with the Madison audience, delivering devastating mockery of Coastie culture. He also made home-spun, Midwestern quips appropriate for the venue’s patrons. As Brooks Wheelan made a quick sign-off and welcomed the Last Week Tonight host onto the stage, he exited to genuine and enthusiastic audience praise, indicative of a superb performance.

Oliver came on stage to a very energetic and animated audience. It was clear that the character he plays on his HBO show, Last Week Tonight, was the role he was to play in the first few minutes of his Orpheum show. But as the show continued, the politically-charged satire Oliver is known for faded away, transitioning into the “stand-up” comedy the show advertised. As Oliver moved away from his characteristic news/current events/political humor, the ease of delivery and apparent comfort level of the comedian changed. While the immature humor of Wheelan works well with his “SNL”-esque personality, Oliver’s stand-up routine poorly contrasted his brand-name sophisticated humor.

Despite being advertised as an “all-ages” event, both Wheelan and Oliver spewed F-word-packed risqué content like a drunk uncle at a family get together. As I sat immersed in a crowd of grad students, moms and dads mutually giggling over jokes about weed and boobs, I was overtaken by the vulgarity of a supposedly child-friendly show. While swearing-like-a-sailor worked for Wheelan, it was odd to see the ex-Daily Show host resort to profanity so quickly. Oliver’s humor on TV is mutilated and downgraded when transitioned onto the stage.

Oliver’s routine revolved around his ability to identify an absurd current event and stress its ridiculousness until the audience reacted appropriately. The originality and flavor he brought to the entertainment world through his HBO show Last Week Tonight was nowhere to be found at the Orpheum.

Moments of comedic brilliance — thankfully — emerged when Oliver chose to engage the audience. By tailoring his routine to the demographic of the Orpheum, humorous stints relieved the overall underwhelming performance. Through his mockery of the Wisconsin-Ohio score, Wisconsin’s cheese and beer obsession or the hugely entertaining discussion of Camp Randall’s penis sculpture made of 40+ football shapes (citing a Badger Herald article), John Oliver was able to create a more intimate and audience-orientated show — a highpoint of the night.

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2014/09/02/story-behind-dick-shaped-statue-camp-randall-stadium/

Leaving the Orpheum, I couldn’t help but feel as if John Oliver’s opening act had in fact been more humorous and better received by the audience, than the main act himself. The underwhelming performance of the comedy legend was exacerbated by the impressive performance of the comic who preceded him. John Oliver struggled to entertain when not confined behind a swanky wooden desk, clad in suit and tie.