Ian’s Pizza helps students prepare for Thanksgiving meal with new slice

Meghan Horvath

One more week until we can all stuff our faces with mass quantities of juicy bird and heaps of mashed potatoes. The days before Thanksgiving essentially equate to the final days before running a marathon. Both require dedication, drive and, in our case, crazy amounts of food. Yes, we must train our tummies in preparation for the impending feast. But do not fret, Ian’s Pizza will set you on the fast track to this desired eating success with their November special: the Thanksgiving Slice. Oh yes, they went there.

It’s reasonable to assume that the majority of University of Wisconsin students have experienced the love that is Ian’s Pizza. At some point, the glowing accounts of their mac n’ cheese pizza would have enticed them to give this odd combination a shot. Despite the deliciousness of this most popular slice, other varieties also have customers hooked. With a rotating menu of monthly specials, Ian’s is always keeping it fresh, and November is no exception. For this gluttonous month, Ian’s has devised a slice that features all the Thanksgiving favorites. Made with turkey, stuffing, cranberry, and a spoof on green bean casserole, this pizza takes turkey day to a whole new level.

However outlandish the slice may sound, Ian’s is certainly catering to the current needs of college kids. As we draw nearer to Thanksgiving, there is an undeniable eagerness on campus for a home-cooked meal. Daydreams during class have evolved and now largely center on food. There is a widespread yearning for plates and plates of turkey, as well as a longing for far too many slices of pie. The hunger is real and despite the growing need for quality food, the fact is that Thanksgiving remains just out of reach. To fill the void, Ian’s has stepped up to the plate with its ingenious medley of the foods racing through everyone’s minds this time of year. Though the combination of flavors might make you skeptical, rest assured this is a slice that must be experienced.

The crust that forms the foundation of the Thanksgiving Slice is impeccable in terms of texture. It is marked by a chewy bite that complements the slight crunchy char on the underside of the dough, all thanks to their screaming hot ovens. Slathered atop the crust is a bit of mushroom cream sauce to pair with the green beans and crispy fried onions also on the slice. In effect, these additions make the pizza a variant of the classic green beans casserole that’s served alongside the big bird on turkey day.

While not everyone is fond of this Thanksgiving staple, Ian’s makes the questionably tasty side dish something to write home about. The fresh snap of the green beans and the crisp flavor of the fried onions both meld with the rich mushroom cream sauce in a delicious fashion. Also interspersed throughout the pizza is thinly sliced turkey, which serves as a welcome surprise to an otherwise carb-heavy slice. The turkey provides the substance needed to fill you up while also offering a variance in texture.

The addition of cranberry sauce makes the Thanksgiving Slice even more authentic. The cranberry not only provides an interesting sweetness but it also makes for a delicious feast for the eyes with its deep red color to offset the otherwise monochromatic slice.

Ian’s raises the bar yet again. The Thanksgiving Slice is everything that comes to mind in terms of Thanksgiving goodness. Since the creativity doesn’t seem to be letting up, it wouldn’t be too far off to expect a pumpkin pie pizza in Ian’s future. We can only hope.