Amy Poehler’s ‘Yes Please’ provides brilliant wisdom amidst gut-busting humor

HarperCollins Publishers

Amy Poehler is a comedian. A funny woman. She gets paid for quick wit, fast jokes and thinking on her feet. The previously longtime member of “Saturday Night Live” and the current lead on “Parks and Recreation” has proven to be an intelligent and quick-thinking improv actor. She clearly has a deep pool of knowledge that shows in her ability to be funny, even when using crude humor. So it’s no surprise that her book, “Yes Please,” is a funny read. It is Amy Poehler condensed into 329 pages.

It would be unfair and inaccurate to use clichés such as “a breath of fresh air” to describe “Yes Please.” There has been a surprising number of nonfiction books from female comedians reflecting on their lives so far — from Mindy Kaling to Lena Dunham to Poehler’s friend and “Saturday Night Live” cast-mate Tina Fey. Each woman is funny, strong, intelligent and opinionated. So, no, Poehler’s book is not “a breath of fresh air.” But it is enjoyable, quirky and a lovely quick-read that marries sound advice with star-studded anecdotes and a self-deprecating and self-aware voice.

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2014/11/18/lena-dunhams-memoir-not-that-kind-of-girl-provides-valuable-insight-to-womens-issues/

“Yes Please” jumps between Poehler’s reflections on her own history, her musings on life and careers and a fair amount of dirt on both herself and her famous friends. It may not be a surprise that she is comfortable making fun of herself and admitting that her fame is based just as much on luck and connections as it is talent. It’s nonetheless nice to hear someone famous to admit to this. Rather than sounding self-promoting when she telling stories full of recognizable names, Poehler often calls herself out: Most stories take a moment to acknowledge how lucky she is to have such famous friends. None of this is done in a way that hits a nerve. She comes across as both humble and thankful, even as she makes jokes about how cool she is.

The best parts of  “Yes Please” come in the moments when Poehler gives advice. Sure, she does not have authority to speak on every subject, be it careers or sex or orphans in Haiti (yes, all these are discussed). But there is a lot to be said for speaking from experience, something Poehler certainly has. She calls upon her personal experiences as well as people such as the prominent buddhist Pema Chödrön. It takes a certain kind of skill to be able to switch between quoting the Dalai Lama and writing that “nothing is more depressing than a tired dominatrix.” It takes even more skill to do this with intelligence and insight.

“Yes Please” gives one set of steps for becoming a comedian. It gives a blueprint for how to achieve your dreams. It also talks about humping Justin Timberlake. It is like listening to stories told by a humorous favorite aunt. Some stories go on too long and some assume the reader knows more than they do, but all speak to the wisdom that comes with time. On top to this, every story is funny. If you don’t have time to read this book over Thanksgiving break, at least your favorite aunt will be there to eat too much turkey, drink a little too much wine and go on about her sordid past. It just won’t include as many stories about Seth Meyers.