12 Oscar contenders to see before 2014 comes to a close

If you care about things like this, you owe it to yourself to get to the theater RIGHT NOW
Sony Pictures Classics
Steve Carell and Channing Tatum in “Foxcatcher.”

Oscar season is here. Although the awards show of all awards shows won’t happen until late February, most of the movies you’ll be hearing about that night are being released in theaters now. If the Oscars are something you care about, make sure to catch these titles before the year comes to a close, since the Oscars only recognize films released in the United States in 2014. Happy moviegoing.

Birdman

Alejandro González Iñárritu’s “Birdman” is one of the year’s finest film achievements, a dizzying blend of dazzling performances and beautiful cinematography. It’s a lock for a Best Picture nomination, and Michael Keaton is a frontrunner for the Best Actor award — if Steve Carell doesn’t snag it from him.

In theaters now

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2014/11/06/birdman-offers-delightful-meta-commentary-on-actors-and-our-true-selves/

Boyhood

Richard Linklater’s “Boyhood” is one of the most ambitious films in recent memory, having been shot over a period of 12 years. However, onscreen, the movie is anything but. It’s an intimate look at childhood that resonated unanimously with critics. It’s Linklater’s most acclaimed film yet, and it’s likely the one that will earn him awards recognition.

On DVD Jan. 6

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2014/09/03/boyhood-makes-film-history-remains-relatable/

Foxcatcher

“Foxcatcher” earned director Bennett Miller (who directed critical favorites “Capote” and “Moneyball”) the Best Director Award at the Cannes Film Festival. It features a remarkable turn from Steve Carell, who plays a paranoid-schizophrenic boxing coach. The performance could very likely earn Carell a Best Actor award, and the film is a shoo-in for Best Picture.

In theaters Nov. 14

Gone Girl

Based on Gillian Flynn’s twisty, psychological novel, David Fincher’s “Gone Girl” has become a critical and commercial success. Fincher’s films are not strangers to the Best Picture category (“The Social Network,” “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”) and “Gone Girl” won’t be an exception. The film could very likely pull in the Best Adapted Screenplay award.

On DVD in 2015

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2014/10/16/twist-heavy-gone-girl-is-one-of-the-years-finchers-best/

The Grand Budapest Hotel

“The Grand Budapest Hotel” is considered by many critics to be auteur Wes Anderson’s finest film yet. It’s a likely candidate for Best Picture, but its overall twee tone and March release date mean it won’t be a serious contender for the gold. It’s still worth seeing, even if it won’t take home much Oscar night.

On DVD now

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2014/03/26/grand-budapest-hotel-worth-checking/

The Imitation Game

“The Imitation Game” reeks of Oscar. It’s a historical drama. Its lead character, mathematician and computer innovator Alan Turing, is gay (the Oscars love marginalized characters). Its early reviews are largely positive. Oscar voters drool over sentimental stories like this one. Expect many goosebumps when clips of this movie play Oscar night.

In theaters Nov. 28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5CjKEFb-sM

Inherent Vice

One proper noun: Paul Thomas Anderson. PTA’s (director of “There Will Be Blood,” “The Master”) winning streak continues with “Inherent Vice,” which features an all-star cast and has garnered numerous positive reviews following its festival screenings. Probably won’t take home the big prize, but will very likely be nominated for Best Picture.

In theaters Dec. 12

Interstellar

Christopher Nolan is every IMDb user’s wet dream. IMDb is also a haven for populist opinions about cinema. Because the Oscars also have this kind of populist backbone, “Interstellar” will likely be a Best Picture contender. But because it’s a sci-fi film, there’s no chance in hell this will take home the top prize.

In theaters now

The Lego Movie

“The Lego Movie” is one of the most acclaimed films of the year. It is also animated. As such, it’s a sure bet for a Best Animated Feature nomination. In fact, you can safely assume it will take home the prize. (It’s just a shame the film hardly has any female characters).

On DVD now

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2014/02/13/lego-movie-pieces-elements-together-fantastic-film-es/

Life Itself

This documentary chronicles the final moments of influential film critic Roger Ebert, who brought a personal, unpretentious tone to film criticism. The film could likely bring home the Best Documentary Feature award; it received highly positive reviews, carries a somewhat sentimental feel and delves deep into a man’s love for what the Oscars are all about: cinema.

On demand now

The Theory of Everything

Like “The Imitation Game,” “The Theory of Everything” is a historical drama that focuses on one of the great minds of mathematics — in this case, Stephen Hawking. The film has received somewhat positive reviews and looks unabashedly sentimental. But the Oscars are all about sentimentality, so this is a likely Best Picture nominee.

In limited theaters now

Unbroken

Directed by Angelina Jolie, “Unbroken” will likely find itself a Best Picture nominee. It’s a war drama that, by the looks of the trailer, milks the maximum number of feels out of its story of an Olympic track star imprisoned in a Japanese Prisoner Of War camp during WWII. This is the kind of thing that awards shows were made for.

In theaters Dec. 25