Rodrigo y Gabriela let their acoustic guitars do all the talking at Wednesday’s Orpheum show

Jason Chan
Rodrigo y Gabriela

Mexican duo Rodrigo y Gabriela took the stage at the Orpheum Wednesday night, armed with nothing more than classical guitars and undeniable talent but projecting a power and intensity that defied typical acoustic music in every sense.

Though the duo’s music is classified as acoustic and instrumental because it is composed of almost entirely guitar tracks, in reality, it encompasses a number of genres. Most prominently it draws from nuevo flamenco, rock and metal. This melding of genres depicts culture with a spunky flare and creates a live show that has a bit of edge, making the pair’s music readily recognizable.

As the duo stepped in front of the crowd and began strumming their guitars, hard-hitting rhythms and alternative sounds filled the venue with a vibrant and pulsating energy not generally associated with acoustic performances.

Rodrigo played riffs and solos, while Gabriela used her single instrument to provide both rhythm and percussion. Though both musicians conveyed absolutely exceptional guitar skills and a great sense of power, Gabriela’s natural ability and unorthodox technique with a guitar really set the pair apart and ultimately made the show.

As Rodrigo acted the part of lead guitarist, Gabriela acted the part of a one-man-band, using her simple acoustic guitar to play three instruments: rhythm guitar, bass guitar and drums. Playing in the most unconventional of ways, she simultaneously plucked a heavy baseline on the first two strings, fingerpicked full refrains and notes on the last four strings and hit the body of the guitar as she strummed in order to create percussion.

The duo played each note fiercely and fast-paced, making music that echoed through the venue with a great impact and force, mesmerizing the audience. I remained fixated on the artists’ fingers as they danced down the frets of the guitars. Regardless of where audience members sat in the venue, all eyes were focused on the musicians’ hands as they played. The coordination and technique was unlike any form of playing I have seen before. Moreover, it was carried out with ease and mastery.

Challenging their own skills and, by some standards, further “proving” the extent of their talent to the audience, they abandoned the use of a setlist and called upon the crowd for requests. Fans shouted the names of songs, and behold, the pair executed each of the requested songs flawlessly, as if they had known what was coming.

In addition to their original music, the duo did two covers, one of which was Radiohead’s “Creep.” Both covers included vocals performed by Rodrigo.

Rodrigo’s vocals were noteworthy. The power conveyed in the duos acoustic guitar, however, made it more than evident that they don’t need vocals to captivate their audiences. The instruments said it all.