UW Looks of the Week

Welcome to UW Looks of the Week! In this new column, Olivia Bruce traverses the UW campus in search of the most fashionable styles out there. In each column, she’ll give you easy tips for looking as sexy as possible, be it while walking across campus, sitting in class or going out for a night on the town.

Sam

Sam’s outfit is perfect for those crisp days. It strikes the balance between stylish and warmth, which is often hard to do. The combination of leggings and boots is a trend you should expect to be seeing around campus more as the days get cooler. Perhaps the best thing about Sam’s outfit is her vest. It’s a staple piece, as it serves as another layer yet doesn’t detract from the outfit as a whole. Added bonus? By not restricting your arms, a vest makes it even easier to enjoy your coffee on the go! Just look at Sam!

Occasion: Lunch date (hint-hint to all the single men out there!)

blue girl

While staying warm when walking from class to class is important, it’s just as important to stay warm while exercising. This outfit is an excellent example of how to do so. Layering up is always a good idea—provided both layers are moisture wicking. The further we get into winter, the less color we tend to see. Hence the reason I love the bright blue. It makes her stand out: a plus from both a fashion and safety standpoint. The only thing missing from this picture? A running buddy!

Occasion: Exercising outside

Michael

It’s not too often that we see guys walking around in a pea coat, scarf and Sperrys. It’s definitely difficult for guys to stay warm while managing to look fashionable throughout the frigid winters. Because he took on the challenge of mixing warmth with fashion, Michael deserves a round of applause. If you decide to follow Michael’s fashion sense, make sure to get some warm, fuzzy socks to wear with your Sperrys. I know it sounds crazy, but wool socks are just as functional as fashionable:

1. Keep your Sperrys intact for longer
  2. Prevent your feet and shoes from smelling
  3. Your jeans will cover up the top of your foot—no one will even know you have socks on
  4. Your feet will remain WARM

Occasion: Evening out; walking to class