In subpar, parental sitcom war, “Mom” trumps “Dads”

Two well-known writers created two new shows for big networks with a similar plot where children have to deal with their dysfunctional parents. This can only mean one thing: “Mom and “Dads” will face off for audiences’ attention.

Chuck Lorre, the creator of hit comedies such as “Two and a Half Men” and “The Big Bang Theory,” has created yet another multi-camera sitcom with “Mom,” while Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild, the writers of “Family Guy” and “Ted,” have created a similar sitcom from the male perspective called “Dads.

Both shows have a solid base of good casts and talented, previously-successful writers — exactly what big network shows need to get picked up. But now it’s time for Mama’s boys, Daddy’s girls and everyone in between to pick sides.

Anna Faris (“Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2”) stars in “Mom” as a single mother and waitress named Christy. In an attempt to save her own relationship with her daughter, Christy reconnects with her morally ignorant mom Bonnie (Allison Janney, “The Way Way Back”) after running into her at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

Not a bad start. The story puts flawed yet realistic characters together in a situation they’re obviously not prepared to handle correctly. Mix that with Anna Faris’s over-the-top facial expressions and there’s a pretty good stew going.

One element that makes any sitcom better is great supporting characters. They bring in zany personalities and, since they aren’t in every scene, their jokes stay fresh. “Mom” exceeds in this category with Matt Jones (Badger from “Breaking Bad”) as Christy’s irresponsible ex-husband who stops in to give their son a dose of bad influence. Spencer Daniels (“The Office”) also joins the crew as the classic idiot boyfriend who Christy’s daughter decides to fall in love with.

In “Dads,” Eli (Seth Green, “Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.”) and Warner (Giovanni Ribisi, “Gangster Squad”) quarrel with their fathers, David (Peter Riegart, “Middleton”) and Crawford (Martin Mull, “Arrested Development,”) respectively. Eli and Warner are working in the video game business when their borderline delusional fathers decide to live with them.

Despite the writers’ “Family Guy” history and the show’s edgy advertising campaign, there is a surprising lack of raunchy jokes in the pilot episode. Fans of that type of humor shouldn’t worry: The dial has been turned up a little in the recent episodes. However, this show is basically a toned-down, real-life version of “Family Guy” with an obnoxious laugh track. Oh, and none of the characters are funny.

In a sitcom, this poses a gigantic problem. Neither of the two dads have any qualities that make them seem like real people. Eli and Warner are two adult children who avoid conflict as much as they can. Two of the main female characters, Veronica and Camila, are made out to be sex objects just to pull in male viewers. This leaves Seth Green’s cleaning lady, who is a non-cartoon Consuela from “Family Guy,” left as the funniest character.

In the battle of “Mom” and “Dads,” “Mom” wins. Keep in mind, however, these shows are still subpar sitcoms. “Mom” still holds onto the dreaded laugh track, and 90 percent of its jokes are about sex. So if Chuck Lorre sitcoms aren’t already your thing, “Mom” won’t change your mind.

“Mom” airs Monday nights on CBS at 8:30 p.m. and “Dads” airs Tuesday nights on FOX at 7 p.m.