Violence of ‘GTA’ doesn’t negate game’s greatness

Violence is a common aspect in many popular video games. These levels of violence can range from fighting cute imaginary monsters to torture and mass killings. While I personally believe violence in video games has no correlation to violent tendencies in the players, some research suggests a correlation. Yet, other research suggest the exact opposite. In reality, no one really knows if violence in video games makes people more violent.

With violence in the news every day, it’s a natural consequence that “Grand Theft Auto,” a game with predecessors known for their violence and general feeling of lawlessness, should come under fire. Many media have begun blaming violent video games for perpetrator’s actions in recent violent acts.

One thing that is difficult for me to comprehend is people’s anger about “preserving the innocence” of younger people who are exposed to “GTA.” While the preservation of innocence is important, the game is intended for mature audiences and explicitly sold as such. The predecessors of “Grand Theft Auto V” should be a good indication that no reason exists for a young child to be playing. This game is the 15th in a series that is essentially based around stealing cars. It’s a form of negligence if a child gets their hands on a game that requires a valid ID to buy. In short, protecting the innocence argument isn’t really valid if the games specifically cater to mature audiences.

Also, blaming video games for the violent actions of others is going a little far. Definite steps exist between playing a game and going out and doing something overtly violent in reality. It’s a quick jump people like to make so they have some form of explanation for the violence. This brings me to the focal point of the current violence argument, the newest “Grand Theft Auto” game.

Rockstar Games’ “Grand Theft Auto V” has tested the arguments about the correlation between violence in video games and violence in the real world since its release on Sept. 17. First of all, the “GTA” franchise is wildly successful. “Grand Theft Auto V” outsold “Call of Duty: Black Ops 2” during its opening weekend with $800 million of sales in the first 24 hours. The “GTA” franchise has a strong fan base and is, honestly, a super fun game.

Granted, the game gives players a large amount of freedom, usually taken advantage of by running over innocent bystanders. That’s generally looked down upon. To counteract this, the “wanted” meter is super-sensitive to civilian deaths and law breaking in general. The cops are smarter in this addition to the “GTA” franchise.

The main scene in question that critics of the game debate involves the main character physically torturing another person. The player is in control during this scene. No other game has attempted this level of physical cruelty with the player at the controls. The game has a few instances like this, but this torture scene is by far the worst. When taken out of the context of the storyline, the scene is completely terrible, but in the context of the story, the scene does make sense.

Despite the controversy surrounding it, “Grand Theft Auto V” is undeniably one of the best-looking and enjoyable games on the market right now. It has many missions as well as a free mode, and players will never be bored while playing it. With a free-roam, over-world map, plays can essentially do whatever they want, whenever they want. This gives each person a particular play style. It’s this feature that has made all 15 of the “GTA” games incredibly popular.

Regardless of differing opinions on whether or not video game violence contributes to violence in real life, it is impossible to say that “Grand Theft Auto V,” with its nearly perfect score across many different review sites, is anything but fantastic. The basic gameplay is fairly standard, but the game flows spectacularly. If you don’t have an issue with some of its more violent sections, the game is beautiful—and fun. The “GTA” franchise is known for pushing the envelope, and this game does not disappoint at all. Rockstar took its time with this one and you won’t be disappointed, so I highly recommend “Grand Theft Auto V” for anyone who wants to experience the great gameplay that “GTA” games are famous for.