Keith Urban’s country-pop ‘Fuse’ burns bright

Thirteen years after reaching the top of the charts for the first time, Keith Urban has his newest album, Fuse. The album’s first single “Little Bit of Everything” was released back in May and since has peaked at number 6 on the Hot Country Songs Billboard chart.

Fuse opens with “Somewhere in my Car,” and the upbeat rhythms and lyrics kick off the album on a strong note.  Harking back to classic Keith Urban stylings, “Somewhere in my Car” brings listeners into another world that most can relate to: “But in my mind/ We’re somewhere in my car/ And it’s raining hard/ On the street light glow.” The crazy electric guitar riff Keith Urban brings out in the middle of the song adds an edgier touch to the otherwise low-key vocals. Fans of Keith Urban’s previous lyrics and music can’t be disappointed with his heartbroken, love-ridden lyrics.

Urban’s self-reflecting song “Shame” sports a pop-country vibe.  “Bridges that I burned and lovers that I hurt/ Lessons never learned/ Shame on me, shame on me,” Urban sings, bringing fans into his intimate personal life.  These relatable situations are part of what makes “Shame” a well-rounded song. Combined with the toe-tapping drumbeat in the background and catchy guitar riffs, “Shame” is anything but shameful. Even country music haters won’t be able to resist dancing and singing along to this jam.

Fuse also features other big name country artists like Miranda Lambert and Eric Church.  “We Were Us” showcases Miranda Lambert’s strong feminine vocals. On the song’s slower verse, Lambert and Urban sing separately, but the chorus pulls in strong with the two of them in a fast-paced lyrical collaboration. This sonic difference brings a more country feel into the mix, while the chorus matches the lyrics “Love was fast and we were us” with a faster rock rhythm. Lambert’s vocal style melds with Urban’s in a lovely way. It will surely become a hit.

Eric Church also appears later on Fuse with the song “Raise ‘Em Up.” Church and Urban combine to form a song more unusual than listeners would think for this duo. The guitar riffs of “Raise ‘Em Up” seem eerily similar to those in Urban’s earlier songs. The duo’s vocal collaboration doesn’t match very well and seems to lack chemistry. With Urban’s overpowering voice, the vocals sound forced and mismatched.

Fuse also contains an additional three deluxe tracks, ending with “Lucky Charm.” The fun, upbeat track brings the well-rounded album to a close. With 16 tracks and a runtime of 57 minutes, Fuse shows off another side to Keith Urban’s well-rounded vocals, while still throwing in songs like “Somewhere in my Car” to bring listeners back to the artist’s songwriting roots. Fuse is more than just your typical country album. Instead, Urban adds an edgy rock-pop feeling that listeners can’t help but dance and sing along to.