Icarus The Owl flies close to sun

The four-piece rock group Icarus The Owl is stopping through Madison on its 2013 spring tour to play at The Frequency Tuesday. Hailing from Portland, Ore., Icarus The Owl is emerging in the rock scene as they take on the challenges that come with being an independent band.

Led by singer and guitarist Joey Rubenstein, the band’s passionate energy is easily recognizable after just a few listens to its music. Icarus The Owl first formed in 2009 when Rubenstein and original members of the band recorded the 2009 album The Spotless Mind.

After some recent member changes, Icarus The Owl now consists of Rubenstein, AJ Stacher (guitar), Zach McLean (bass) and Rob Bernknopf (drums). They recently recorded an album together in 2012, Love Always, Leviathan, and plan on recording another soon, Rubenstein said in an interview with The Badger Herald. 

“After all that touring, we are planning to record another full-length album in the fall,” Rubenstein said. “Not sure when it will be released yet, but hopefully not too long after we record it.” 

Icarus The Owl combines eccentric tapping guitar with driving beats to create a catchy fusion of pop rock and math rock. Rubenstein’s belting vocals and personal lyrics make the band’s music interesting and relatable.

Icarus The Owl’s unique and energetic sound is complex and multilayered. Listeners may need to revisit tracks closely in order to uncover the band’s brilliance.

“I want people to be able to either take our music at face value and appreciate it that way or with multiple listens be able to digest the intricacies that we put into it,” Rubenstein said.

A defining characteristic of Icarus The Owl’s music is its frequent use of time signature changes, likely a result of its independent status and creative freedom.

“We are able to write, record and release our own albums without having to answer to anyone about when and how we make it,” Rubenstein said.

He also explained the benefits and downsides of being a self-promoting band and its financial and networking implications. The band must be responsible in its spending, but it also collects much more of the profits, Rubenstein said. They recognize the difficulty in establishing connections without a record label, but are still hopeful that hard work will allow them to network in the music industry.

“We can book our own tours, release our own music, make design choices and be in complete control of our musical careers.” Rubenstein said.

He added he wants attendees to enjoy Icarus The Owl’s music in their own personal way.

“Through the lyrics, I want people to be able to relate it to in their own way. It doesn’t even need to be related to what the song is about, but if it somehow makes an impact on them, then I will be happy,” he said.

This will be Icarus The Owl’s first time in Madison, so Badgers won’t want to miss the performance.

Tickets are $5 and doors open at 8:30 p.m. today. Other bands playing Tuesday’s show include Fargo, Not Made Men and Look, I’m Burning.