Characters carry crafty “Cloud 9

“Cloud 9” surprised the audience at a Thursday night pre-showing at the Mitchell Theatre with plot twists and engaging acting in a story about individuality and identity.
The seats were filled with more mature viewers, as the play is not aimed toward children. A majority, if not all, of scenes in the play included sexual actions or references, appropriate for adults, but something parents may not want their children to be seeing. However, the play did a wonderful job of adding much-needed comic relief on serious issues, like gender and sexuality. 

A complex story about sex, relationships and identity, “Cloud 9” is first based in Victorian Africa and then fast-forwards 25 years to a slightly more modern Britain. The play explores the growing familiarity of homosexual expression and the establishment of feminism throughout the decade-and-a-half time period. What was most enjoyable about “Cloud 9” is the way comedy is intertwined with serious commentary, yet the comedic aspect does not take away from the important, overarching topics the play tackles. 

The characters stand out as the most entertaining parts of the play; “Cloud 9” has a small cast that leaves a big impression. There are only nine cast members in all, many of whom play two tremendously unique roles. In Act I, two characters take on roles of their opposite genders, and in Act II there are even more gender-bending surprises.

Although every cast member did a wonderful job of engaging the audience and bringing forth the personality of their characters, Eva Nimmer, who played the characters of Edward in Act I and Betty in Act II, did a spectacular job. Right as the play begins, Nimmer strikes out. Her voice, in the sudden musical numbers in the first act, is incredible and her acting even better. She has a cheerful personality that captures the attention of the audience and is able to truly bring across the sometimes confusing identity questions a young person faces during adolescence. 

Even though the characters are fantastic, not as much can be said for the set designs. The sheer curtains hanging from the ceiling seemed rather out of place, yet add a nice touch of elegance. Also, unfortunately, it is often difficult to tell where the acts were taking place, Africa or Britain, as there is not much difference in scenery between the two acts. If the characters were not dressed accordingly, it would be difficult to notice the switch in locations from Act I to Act II. 

“Cloud 9” encourages audiences to express their individuality and live life to the fullest. The smiles could not be wiped off the crowd’s faces for the duration of the show. The set designs could be brought up a level and the singing seems out of place, but the message and comedic elements more than make up for these slight mishaps. The actors are extraordinary and perform a magnificent job of switching between distinct characters. 

A suggestion to audiences: read the Dramaturg’s Note, located in the program. It may help with understanding the full backstory of the play and clear up any confusion. It also provides a perfect overview of what to expect when the curtain rises. 

Overall, “Cloud 9” is an excellent and inspiring play about finding yourself and being the person you want to be, despite what others might say.

“Cloud 9” runs through May 4. Tickets are available for $22 through UT Box Office.