Big K.R.I.T. back with more “country shit”

Big K.R.I.T.’s latest release is a behemoth of thought-provoking, well-produced hip-hop. Consisting of 17 tracks total, King Remembered in Time is not a mixtape to be overlooked.

The release goes back and forth between upbeat, speaker-blowing hits and more soulful, thoughtful tracks. Big K.R.I.T., who wrote and produced all but one track, knows how to utilize storytelling elements like free-form narratives and spoken verses. Climbing his way through the ranks of Southern hip-hop royalty, his Mississippi roots are apparent in his lyrics and in the use of jazz instrumentals throughout.

One of the standout tracks, “King Without a Crown,” begins with a very strong, confident intro of “Forever is a very long time / I do it for the South / And the folk that held me down.” It is a bumpin’, beat-heavy track, reminiscent of “Country Shit” from Return of 4eva in both sound and message. Big K.R.I.T.’s confidence and country boy pride shine through in this party-ready track.

“Meditate” has a much more relaxed vibe, with bluesy riffs contributing to the dreamlike feeling of the track. The arrangement of multiple voices repeating “I just wanna meditate” conveys the feeling of the slowly tuning out all the voices and noises nearby as one prepares to meditate and fall into one’s own thoughts. As the title of the track suggests, the song tackles the struggle of reflecting on the mistakes and troubles in one’s past.

King Remembered in Time features many other artists in the industry, including Wiz Khalifa, Smoke DZA, Future, Bun B and Big SANT. On “How U Luv That,” Big SANT brags “I got the hookup, bitch / what you know bout this?,” effectively dragging the listener out of Big K.R.I.T.’s reflective dream realm back to the real world where money talks and women are commodities. Wiz Khalifa and Smoke DZA are featured on the following track “Only One,” which has a similar vibe, acting as the marijuana-filled chill sesh follow-up to Big SANT’s party.

Following “Only One,” listeners are transported on bluesy saxophone vibes back to Big K.R.I.T.’s tortured memories. “Banana Clip Theory” is about the loss of a woman close to him and the subsequent desire for revenge. The song touches on the senselessness of revenge present in gang violence, while acknowledging the emotions and pressure associated with getting even. “Banana Clip Theory” reminds listeners that those killed by gang violence were loved by someone – they are likely grieved by a parent, a child, a friend or a lover.

“WTF” is also a powerful narrative, weaving between an exasperated, almost angry-free form narrative of struggling with the question of what to do next and a remembrance of the romance that led to the situation. Haunting chords and jazzy instrumentals seamlessly blend these elements together while classic hip-hop beats add emphasis to the chorus.

“Multi Til the Sun Die” is the epic ending to this personal journey through Big K.R.I.T.’s psyche. This song uses airy synth sounds, guitars and even violins to emphasize the feeling of finality and lasting impact Big K.R.I.T. seeks to leave listeners with. In the ending outro, K.R.I.T. says: “Love the people, be of the people / Humble yourself in praise / History remembers Kings.”

Though the mixtape’s length may seem daunting, every track is worth the time. Delivering a variety and maturity worth recognition, Big K.R.I.T. will hopefully live up to the release’s name, becoming a true King Remembered in Time.

4.5/5 stars