Spotify Playlist: Rocky Relations

It’s been raining for a while now, and it’s time to acknowledge those poor Badger couples that just didn’t make it past spring. Yet, alas, music is an excellent outlet a broken, stabbed or viciously ripped-out heart. So, let it out; have a nice cry or scream to these songs of heartache … and revenge.

“Hyper Music” – Muse

By Rachel Rogerson

“Hyper Music” is from one of Muse’s older albums, Origin of Symmetry, released in 2001, yet it still remains one of Muse’s most angst-filled songs. The lyrics are simple: “I don’t want you / and I never did / I don’t want you / and I never will.” While I would kill to have Matt Bellamy sing to me, this is one serenade I would like to avoid.

“Fuck You” – Cee-Lo Green

By Ian Erickson

This song embodies multiple aspects of a break-up: seeing an ex driving around town, him or her being with someone you know and being like, “Fuck you.” It nicely exemplifies trying to get over an ex while still having feelings for said ex.

“Misery Business” – Paramore

By McKenzie Kirkland

It makes you want to fight for the revenge you deserve.

“Survivor” – Destiny’s Child

By Rachel Turriff

This is a good break up song because it isn’t sad, like many seem to be. It is about being strong, confident and showing that you can be happy, even after a tough break up.

“Song for the Dumped” – Ben Folds Five

Probably some of the harshest lyrics you’ll ever hear directed towards an ex. “Well, fuck you, too! / Give me my money back / Give me my money back / You bitch!” Ben Folds sounds like very angry guy, but the song is very playful. It’s sort of an I’m-too-good-for-you-anyway song, which, I suppose, is … empowering?

“I Hate Everything About You” – Three Days Grace

By Nancy Payne

Pretty much speaks for itself.

“Before He Cheats” – Carrie Underwood

By Danielle Leick

Move over Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood plans to take “a Louisville Slugger to both headlights / Slash a hole in all four tires.” I think this break up song says it all.

“Bittersweet Memories” – Bullet For My Valentine

By Tyler Schultz

For big, tough guys with tattoos and piercings, Bullet For My Valentine sure sounds emotional. Of course, they ease up on the screaming and shredding solos in this song, but they still bring their familiar heaving-hitting sound. This is definitely a great song for those darker times we all have.