Revolution resonates in latest Paramore album

ARTS-paramore

Hayley Williams’ fire-bright hair is back with Paramore’s self-titled fourth album. After a nearly four-year break from releasing albums and without two original band members (lead guitarist and backing vocalist Josh Farro as well as his drummer brother Zac), Paramore changes their sound and takes music lovers by storm, experimenting within their genre but not so much that they will lose loyal followers over the changes.

From the lead track, “Fast in my Car,” listeners are able to hear the differences between Paramore and the band’s third album Brand New Eyes. “Fast in my Car” creates an upbeat, rock-techno feeling, while still subtly hinting at the band’s former sound. Pair these fresh sounds with lyrics of hope and not giving up (“Been through the ringer a couple times … We had to learn how to deal”) as Paramore gives fans hope for the band through their own story of almost splitting up. Even though the past four years had been rough on Paramore, they were able to find a new sound with new members and pull through, not disappointing fans in the process.

Growing up and moving the band in a new direction is a prominent theme on Paramore. This 17-track album is broken up with three short interlude tracks, catching listeners off guard with a vividly different sound than the rest of the album. The first, “Interlude: Moving On,” gives listeners a country-pop sound of acoustic guitar paired with feisty lyrics such as “Let ’em spill their guts / ‘Cause one day they’re gonna slip on ’em.” Short, sweet and to the point, the interludes serve as a way for listeners to take a step back and prepare for the next musical turn of the album.

“Ain’t it Fun” pops up as the sixth track on Paramore and shifts the band’s sound to a more powerful, ballad-like style. The third verse hook, “Don’t go crying to your mama, ’cause you’re on your own in the real world,” takes listener’s ears for a ride, changing the sound into southern-style gospel rock and creating a musical experience that is enough to leave the audience clapping along to the beat.

Paramore takes the needed risks to rise out of its four-year rut and embark on the journey to the top of the music world again. Old and new fans will not be disappointed with the combination of subtly familiar and excitingly newer sounds. Not only has the band’s music matured over time, but the vocal and range of Hayley Williams has no doubt gone to the next level. The maturity of Williams’s vocals and songwriting enhance the album, evolving Paramore past its past works.

This self-titled album marks a clear break from the band’s past performances while still leaving room for the future. This is clearly shown in the final track’s title. “Future” starts off with a laid-back acoustic tone that slowly changes into a more punk-rock instrumental for the last three and a half minutes of the album, leaving fans with a sense of hope and rejuvenation for the band. Paramore shows the band is back, more mature and better, with redefined songs and vocals.

4 stars out of 5.