Friday Favorites: Irish you would listen to this playlist

“I’m Shipping Up To Boston” – Dropkick Murphys

Kelsey Sorenson

No list of St. Patty’s-inspired music is complete without a track from Dropkick Murphys, a Celtic punk rock band from Massachusetts. Their best-known song, “I’m Shipping Up To Boston,” has been featured in the soundtrack for “The Departed” and the opening sequence of the short-lived drama “The Black Donnellys,” which is why the opening might sound so familiar to some. Speaking of that opening, who knew mandolin could be so badass? Their combination of traditional instruments, such as mandolin and bagpipes, with the hard-driving rawness of punk rock results in music meant to be played in a rock ‘n’ roll version of Eire. This song, and Dropkick Murphys in general, is perfect for the person looking to get rowdy and embrace some working-class angst to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

“Kids” – Kylie Minogue feat. Bono (Showgirl Homecoming Tour)

Bennet Goldstein

When we were given this week’s theme, one of the editors mentioned as an aside that Bono is Irish. Perfect. I quickly scanned my iTunes library searching for “Bono.” One can appraise the manliness of my song collection when I tell you the only hit I got was the song “Kids.” The track is a duet Kylie Minogue sang with Bono in Sydney back in 2007 during her post-cancer comeback tour. Although this song is more Aussie than Irish, we can pretend the two countries are connected as former British colonies to merit playing this song during St. Patrick’s Day.

“A Pair of Brown Eyes” – The Pogues

Emily Adams

The Pogues are a true Irish folk-punk band that will transport you to the cobblestone streets of Ireland. Shane McGowan has a distinct gritty voice with a luring Irish accent. “A Pair of Brown Eyes” is a classic hit of theirs with a great rhythm to get you in the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day. Best enjoyed with a pint and good company.

“Dreams” – The Cranberries

Samuel Fleischman

When all your day is spent partying and you can barely stumble into bed, this song will help you on your way to dreaming of all the leprechauns, rainbows and pots of gold you could ever want – or just the really hot girl next door.

“Devil’s Dance Floor” – Flogging Molly

Colin Kellogg

I’d always been a fan of Irish music, but when I came across Flogging Molly’s punk-infused sound during a period of middle school angst, it was love at first listen. Listening to this song in particular brings me back to summer nights moshing at the annual Irish Fair of Minnesota. So crack open a Guinness, grab your lad or lass and join Flogging Molly on the devil’s dance floor.