Superior mixtape worth last dollar

ARTS_webbs
Courtesy of Superior Webbs

Superior Webbs has established themselves as one of Wisconsin’s top rap duos with the release of The Last Dollar. Listening to the mixtape is like drinking coconut milk on a cloud of parrot feathers: It’s icy smooth and makes everything in the past seem unworthy of praise.

Both members of Superior Webbs, TO and Too Shade, are originally from Madison and have been working together for years now. During their time together, they have dropped four other mixtapes. Currently, both artists live in Milwaukee and attend the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. This long-term collaboration explains the formidable cohesiveness of Superior Webbs and its smart, sharp rhyme schemes. 

Every mixtape Superior Webbs puts out showcases the lyrical creativity of both artists. From beginning to end, The Last Dollar is a story of independence, love, dedication and not giving a fuck. Using the past as a foundation and the artists’ collegiate-level status as the current subject, TO and Too Shade offer a unique perspective. The danger of having a couple of ordinary kids in such an advantageous situation is evident in this mixtape. These two emcees don’t hold anything back, so put the kids to bed before taking the lid off this one.

Instrumentally, the beats on The Last Dollar fit its lyrical content like a pair of new socks. They are nice, but not too complex, leaving plenty of room for the vocals. The drum patterns are different on every track, but each one seems to lead smoothly into the next without any abrupt changes. 

While Superior Webbs has a diverse team of producers on the project, Too Shade is responsible for eight of the tracks. His beats in particular use a lot of unique samples, which is a rare find nowadays. Every one of Too Shade’s instrumentals is a professionally mixed cocktail of old school basics and new school flavor. Halfway through the tape, his instrumental, “The Smoke Break,” comes on to give listeners an opportunity to hear exactly what he can do with an idea, a drum machine and some production software.

Some of the more noteworthy tracks on The Last Dollar include “Cuttin Ties,” “Walter White,” “Don’t Know How” and “Marilyn.” However, by the time the last song fades out, The Last Dollar will leave the listener looking for someone or something to compare it to, only to find out that no comparison exists. 

Superior Webbs also released videos for “Walter White,” “Choo Choo,” “Don’t Know How” and “For the City,” all of which are highly original and worth checking out. 

The duo has developed its sound over five different mixtapes, and it appears the duo’s experience has paid off.