Spotify Playlist Friday: Sun

This week’s theme is songs that use the word “sun,” as it finally peaks through to usher in Spring’s warmth.

“Island in the Sun” by Weezer

Taylor Lee-Clarahan

Speaks for itself.

“Closer to the Sun” by Slightly Stoopid

Tyler Schultz

Slightly Stoopid has an entire album titled Closer to the Sun that would make even the most uptight person want to chill outside on a sunny day with friends. This track epitomizes this feel-good desire. The mesmerizing acoustic guitar riffs and relaxing vocals puts me in a good mood and a smile on my face every time.

“Livin’ in the Sunlight, Lovin’ in the Moonlight” by Tiny Tim

Chris Kim

We all know this song from the first episode of “Spongebob Squarepants,” “Help Wanted,” giving it a cheery and nostalgic mood. I get such a good feeling when I think of my childhood and the importance of that scene where Spongebob is feeding a massive crowd of ravenous anchovies with Krabby Patties. This song was an integral part of that scene and it was the first thing I thought of when I thought of a song with “Sun.”

“Black Hole Sun” by Soundgarden

Colin Kellogg

This 1994 classic is the perfect song to listen to as you wait for something to come and wash away the rain … errrr, snow. With the touch of despair typical of grunge music, “Black Hole Sun” is the perfect outlet for singing out your weather-related woes.

“The Sun” by The Naked and Famous

Katie Caron

The brooding track from New Zealand indie-electronic band The Naked and Famous combines a foot-stomping beat, looped vocals and pulsing synth to create a sound that isn’t all that bright or sunny. Strikingly similar to Radiohead’s standout “Everything in Its Right Place” off Kid A, “The Sun” starts with simple muted synths and monotone vocals before building up to a wave of cathartic, sonic dissonance aided by sharp guitar riffs and layered male and female vocals. Less “sunny” in tone and more untraditionally arranged than other The Naked and Famous tracks like “Youngblood” or “Punching in a Dream,” the track is perfect for listening on a bleak winter night.