Passion Pit, Matt & Kim to take on Orpheum Saturday

Beneath all the cheery synths and seemingly upbeat melodies of Passion Pit, there lies something much deeper when one listens to the lyrics. Look at “Take a Walk,” a song from their latest album Gossamer. To a casual listener, the song would seem like nothing more than an electro-pop groove; but take a closer listen to see that it’s actually about a family struggling with money problems.

This unconventional and interesting juxtaposition of the cheerful sound with rather gloomy meaning will be showcased at the Orpheum this Saturday.

Pairing angst-filled lyrics along with jubilant synths and bouncy rhythms is a constant trend throughout Passion Pit’s songs, adding a layer of unexpected complexity within the band’s repertoire.

When the casual listener pulls back the peppy exterior layer, they will see Michael Angelakos, frontman of the band, exposing his inner demons under the guise of his catchy indie tunes.

Angelakos started the band on his own in Boston with his 2008 EP Chunk of Change. The album was for his soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend’s Valentine’s Day present. The album bopped around house parties, gaining notoriety in Boston where Angelakos attended school, until it it was picked up by Frenchkiss, an indie label. Less than a year later, it was picked up by Columbia, a major label.

The band released its debut album Manners in May 2009. By then, the originally one man band grew by four members with Ian Hulquist on the keyboards and guitar, Ayad Al Adhamy with synth and samples, Jeff Apruzzese on bass and keyboard, and Nate Donmoyer on drums.

Angelakos remained as the lead vocalist and keyboardist, supplying melancholy lyrics inspired by bipolar disorder, bankruptcy, suicide attempts and substance abuse.

Their latest album, Gossamer, was released in July 2012. Gossamer gained a lot of positive reaction, most notably from its singles “Take a Walk,” “Carried Away,” and “I’ll Be Alright.”

Although the lyrical content may seem depressing, it’s not going to phase the booze-infused crowd Saturday night. When the neon lights flood the stage and the bouncy melodies fill up the sold-out venue, the mood will be nothing but wild.

Even the dullest of spirits won’t have a chance when put against the show’s two openers: Matt & Kim and Icona Pop. Matt & Kim started out in October 2004 as “Matthew and Kimberly” in Brooklyn. Soon after, they shortened their name and have been touring ever since. Their music is dubbed “giddy, punky pop” by Spotify and their biggest hit is “Daylight” from their album Grand.

Icona Pop is an electro-pop duo featuring Aino Jawo and Caroline Hjelt, both from Sweden. Icona Pop was first picked up on the music radar when Chiddy Bang sampled their song “Manners” in his song, “Mind Your Manners.” The two then gained even more notoriety with their party anthem “I Love It” featuring Charli XCX.

Audience members on Saturday better be ready for an extremely high-tempo night filled with dance grooves that frequent campus all too often.

Passion Pit encourages audience members to participate in the concert as well. Fans can tweet pictures to be added to the band’s website by hashtagging “Passion Pit Live.”

Passion Pit’s complex duplicity of the lively and the morose paired with the ever-ecstatic Matt & Kim and Icona Pop will not fail to give concert-goers plenty of fuel to dance the night away.

The sold-out show is Saturday, 8 p.m. at The Orpheum Theatre.