Fun. to rock Union South

fun
Grammy nominee Fun. will bring their pop rock sound to a sold out show at The Sett.[/media-credit]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7yCLn-O-Y0

Who would have ever thought Googling such a widely used adjective would result in a band’s website? The moniker that came from a simple band name spitball session in New York is quickly becoming one of the world’s most recognizable rock groups. Get ready because fun. is coming to campus this Thursday for a huge syllabus week party at Union South.

The band actually came together back in 2008 and debuted the album Aim and Ignite in the following year, but it was not until the release of Some Nights that it attracted national attention. By this point in time if you haven’t heard fun.’s pop-y, chart-topping power ballads, it’s safe to say that you need to get out more. “We Are Young” took the country by storm in 2012. It was nearly impossible to go a week without hearing the New York-based group, whether it was at a friend’s house, on the radio or out at the bars on the weekend. The wild success of “We Are Young” helped to draw major attention to the album, eventually helping it reach Gold status. The band has also received six Grammy nominations for this year’s awards, receiving one nomination for “We Are Young,” two for the album itself and one for Best New Artist.

So, what is so special about this group? Well, nothing really. fun. employs an Adam Levine-sounding singer doctored by a lot of auto-tune and reverb. It repeats the same redundant, vague material throughout each record like it was written using fortune cookies. Detailed lyrics and real life experiences are few and far between, leaving the listener completely disconnected with the artists themselves. The titles of the latest album’s three singles “We Are Young,” “Some Nights” and “Carry On” are hardly original concepts either. As with many indie, alternative or pop rock groups, it is hard to point out what holds the sound and fan base together. Many would say its diversification, while others would call it confusion.

What is all the hype about? Well, the lead singer has a nice high-pitched voice for the pop-rock sound everyone likes to empty out his or her lungs to. It’s the kind of music that makes a person happy regardless of whether the lyrics are uplifting or depressing. The lyrics are also vague enough so the underlying theme of each record is up for interpretation by each individual listener. This allows for a sense of connectedness to the band even though there may or may not be one at all. Some Nights also features an array of different pop sounds and tempos, which helps to keep the listener interested and excited about what will come next. The drums are different on almost every record, and the use of playful synths throughout make for a very catchy, bright sophomore album.

On Jan. 24, UW students will have the opportunity to catch this popular act at Union South. The fun. performance is going to be “really excellent,” according to WUD Music Advisor Courtney Byelich. The band is currently rehearsing for its 2013 tour and Madison is the second stop, so fans can expect an all new stage setup.

“The performance itself in Varsity Hall is a smaller performance venue than most of the rest of the venues on their tour, so the UW students are getting a really personal and more intimate experience than they would be getting at other venues around the country,” Byelich said. “The venue has a large dance floor with plenty of room for dancing with a concession stand only a few steps away.”

Andrew McMahon will also be performing Thursday. He is well known for his role as lead vocalist and pianist for Jack’s Mannequin, but in 2013 the rest of the band will be staying at home. This will be one of the first performances of McMahon’s solo career since his group disbanded in the fourth quarter of last year. The house will be packed full as McMahon and international sensation fun. take the stage for a memorable back-to-campus show.

Tickets are sold out. If you already have a ticket make sure to pick it up at the Vilas box office ahead of time with your student ID. The hours are: Jan. 22 – May 10: 11:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. (weekdays). Tickets will also be available at will call at the time of the show but long lines can be expected. Doors open at 9 p.m.