Cornucopia of food need not mean a gorge of plenty

Looking for some tips to have a happy Thanksgiving without feeling like a stuffed turkey afterwards? Read on, my friends.

Thanksgiving undeniably puts some pretty tasty food on the table in front of our eyes in all of its glory: turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie. Resisting such appetizing food usually made solely on special occasions can prove to be difficult. However, having a healthy holiday can be done with the right mindset and a little bit of knowledge.

Tip number one: Don’t skip meals. It seems like every year when Thanksgiving rolls around, people get into the frame of mind that if they “save up” for Thanksgiving dinner they can eat as much as they want. This is a huge mistake.

First off, skipping meals actually slows down your metabolism, which will cause you to burn less calories than you normally would.

Secondly, saving up for dinner will almost always lead to overeating which will leave you uncomfortably full and more likely to have consumed far more calories than you are burning. To avoid becoming ravenous and munching on everything in sight until you can barely move, make sure you eat prior to your meal.

Breakfast has always been called the most important meal of the day, and in this case it definitely is. A small, filling one like Greek yogurt with granola and berries, or half a whole wheat pita pocket stuffed with egg whites, cooked veggies and a sprinkle of shredded cheese will keep your metabolism running in full gear. And a small satisfying lunch three to four hours prior to dinner will help ward off those feelings of extreme hunger.

Tip number two: Watch your portions. Holiday get-togethers are infamous for massive amounts of food. Often our eyes are bigger than our bellies, and it’s even harder to resist large portions if everyone else around you is piling their plate sky-high.

One way to accomplish this is to use smaller plates if possible. It will give you the illusion that you’re eating more than you really are, and will keep portions smaller.

Another tip to eat less is to engage in conversation at dinner. When we socialize during meals we will automatically eat slower, allowing our bodies to get the message to us that we’re full before our plates are empty. After you finish your first helping, take 10 minutes or so to let your stomach digest, then determine whether or not you’re still hungry.

Tip number three: Try some new, healthier takes on your favorite dishes to cut calories, fat, sugar and sodium. Instead of drowning your mashed potatoes in butter, try adding spices such as garlic. You could even substitute regular potatoes for sweet potatoes, which are great without extra toppings.

Turkey is a good lean source of protein; however, the skin is extremely fattening. Try it without the skin, and with only a small pool of gravy. Desserts can be made from low- or non-fat products, as well as sugar-free alternatives, and still be delicious and satisfying.

There are so many different ways to make Thanksgiving dinner a healthier meal – it just takes a little research. Look up different recipes for your favorite dishes that are on the lighter side, or find something completely different and share it with the rest of the family.

Tip Number four: Drink a lot of water, and try to avoid alcohol, soda or other sugary drinks. Water in general is beneficial to the body in many ways. For the purpose of Thanksgiving Day, water will help keep that famished feeling at bay. Many times when we feel hungry (especially not long after eating), we are actually dehydrated. Drinking water throughout the day will stop any overeating that’s due to mixed body signals.

Secondly, beware of alcohol. A glass of wine or a beer is fine, but alcoholic calories easily add up. Plus, drinking tends to make people hungry, which may lead to overeating and a very uncomfortable stomach.

Additionally, try limiting yourself to one soda, or another kind of sugary drink. The carbonation in soda will likely cause bloating and add unneeded, nutritionally “empty” calories.

Tip number five: Fit some type of exercise into your day. Create a calorie deficit before you even indulge. Even if it’s just throwing around the football outside for an hour or taking a walk around the neighborhood with your family, any physical activity will do your body good. After dinner, take another walk or find a different activity for the whole family to engage in.

Tip number six: Don’t forget that the holidays are about reconnecting with our family and friends. Food has undoubtedly become a significant element of social gatherings, but it is not the most important part. You can certainly enjoy the delicious food your family has prepared, but try to make the conversation and the relationships around you the main event.

Jenny Slattery is a sophomore majoring in journalism. Want a healthier lifestyle? Send questions and comments to her at [email protected].