Studio Days showcases graduate art community

The University of Wisconsin’s art department opened its studio doors last week for its annual Studio Days, giving the public a taste of what’s going on in the graduate art community.

Art lovers on campus have plenty of opportunities to see the final products created by students in the graduate arts program in various Madison exhibits, but probably little insight into the creative process behind those pieces. Student Services Coordinator Jennifer Simonelli said Studio Days is a unique chance to see where the art is made, and how the artists make it.

“Seeing the artists’ work in their studios versus in a gallery or in an exhibition is a really great opportunity for the viewer to see the artists in their own element, to see what they’re working with, their environment, who influences them, maybe who’s next door,” Simonelli said.

The element of “where” can have profound impacts on the art. Simonelli noted that the 87 graduate students come from a huge range of cultural backgrounds from all over the world and travel frequently to seek inspiration. When they return to their studios, housed in the Humanities building and the Frances Street Art Lofts, fresh influences and interpretations can intermingle freely among the artists.

“The graduate students are kind of at the forefront of what’s going on in contemporary art practice,” Simonelli said. “I think the art they’re making here is a very nice snapshot of a whole bunch of different cultural influences.”

Location, cultural backgrounds and life experiences all play a huge role in that elusive beast called inspiration. But it may surprise viewers to see students finding inspiration in sciences, mathematics and history, subjects audiences might not typically associate with studio art.

At least one sculpture on display in the first-year graduate gallery, located in the Art Lofts, takes a cue from anatomy by surgically slicing out a piece of the intestine and enlarging it to mammoth proportions. “Fig. 2” would fit equally well in a medical sciences building. Its creator, Natasha Hovey, can often be found working in her studio down the hall, where surgical photos of human anatomy adorn the walls and strings of dried clay cover the table.

She explained her experimentation with different firing techniques to see the effects on the clay and apply them to future projects. On her computer screen, a 17th century sketch of skeletons atop a mound of anatomy provides her next inspiration.

Going deeper into the Art Lofts, artists of every medium and genre mingled with visitors during Studio Days, while some continued working on their art. From photography to oil painting, one student even worked on a blown-glass piece in her lab. The artists talked enthusiastically about their work, both finished and unfinished, on display in their crowded studios.

“[Studio Days] is very exciting for our students, and it’s something they look forward to every year. They really enjoy talking about their work and meeting with people and learning from the audience what they interpret from the pieces,” Simonelli said. “So it may be interesting to see … how that conversation may influence their direction.”

The graduate students weren’t the only ones on display this week. A gallery on the 7th floor of Humanities housed the Bachelor of Fine Arts exhibit, which featured undergrads’ work from the semester. Coinciding with Studio Days, the BFA exhibit is an annual effort to provide the public with a glance at a different group of students, some of which are potential members in a future generation of Studio Days.

If you missed either Studio Days or the BFA exhibit, there will be other chances to see the grad students’ finished work on campus. The first-year grad student exhibit is still going on at the Art Lofts, and a slew of exhibits are still to come. Checking out UW students’ artwork is a chance to stay in touch with the Madison and UW community, said Simonelli.

“We really appreciate having the public come in and see our space,” she said. “I think it gives a great sense of community to know what’s going on in Madison.”

For more information about Studio Days and future exhibits, check out the Art Department’s website at www.art.wisc.edu.