For pop-punk nostalgia, Majestic gets Yellowcard

yellowcard
Tonight, rock group Yellowcard plans to play a mixture of old hits and songs from their latest album, ‘When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes.'[/media-credit]

Nostalgia is not something to be taken lightly. Sometimes, a rush to move on to the next big thing leaves something bigger and better behind.

Nearly a decade after their smash hit “Ocean Avenue,” Jacksonville, Florida’s favorite sons Yellowcard have returned with their seventh studio album, When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes. The pop-punk quintet has been on the road supporting the album since it released in March, and violinist/vocalist Sean Mackin couldn’t be happier.

“When Yellowcard wanted to put out a new record – what eventually became When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes – we were really excited,” Mackin said. “We didn’t know what it was going to mean, or if anyone would really care. All those creeping doubts … ”

Yet the doubts proved to be fruitless, as the album became Yellowcard’s most critically successful release of their career. Mackin attributes this to their collaboration as songwriters.

“I’m so lucky to be in such a talented band. In every way we push ourselves to push the envelope,” he said. “We have so many different songwriters. … All of us are really involved. We just play off each other.”

This closeness is a result of their longevity as a band.

“When we started about 10 years ago, we knew what we wanted, we made our mistakes and now we try to stay away from those,” Mackin said. “I don’t think we’re to the point where we don’t enjoy ourselves or being with the younger bands.”

Yellowcard, however, has something those other bands don’t: a chart-topping hit. 2004’s “Ocean Avenue” catapulted the band into the pop-punk stratosphere. And even after eight years of the song, Mackin isn’t tired of it, saying, “It’s not something we’re shying away from or hiding.”

“To be a band that grew up never thinking about radio play and ending on up on MTV, it was absolutely amazing that the song took off,” Mackin says. “We’re definitely not running away from that moment in our life. We still look back and say ‘that was amazing.'”

And so, after 15 years as a band and several in the spotlight, Yellowcard has achieved something they never thought they would: consistency. “If we go the rest of our lives touring these clubs and playing to these fans, I would love to do that. We get to play music for a living.”

And indeed, why live in the nostalgic past when there is so much to experience now?

Yellowcard will perform Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at the Majestic Theater. Tickets are $25. Go to majesticmadison.com for more information.