Fashionably brief: Vintage pop-up shop springs open

Happy Fashion Week, Madison! Nothing says Fashion Week quite like a pop-up shop – the choice retail option for short-term events.

Last week the ladies of Vintage Madison mounted a fashion show previewing the best of their individual vintage fashion collections at High Noon Saloon. This week, you can get your paws on their most fashionable finds at the weeklong pop-up shop at Madison’s Project Lodge.

Vintage Madison has done pop-ups before, but this is the first weeklong one they’ve undertaken.

The Project Lodge, 817 E. Johnson St., is the do-it-yourself arts space and venue that’s been around in some form or another since early 2008.

The pop-up shop’s sneak peek party took place at the Project Lodge Sept. 11 from 6-9 p.m. The event included snacks, music and cocktails.

“It’s fun because we only do a couple a year,” said Rebecca Light, founder of Picture Day Vintage. “It’s really the only place you can buy [Vintage Madison] stuff in town. So, it’s kind of exciting to get the first dibs.”

Vintage Madison is comprised of three women who love their retro fashion: Light, Jessica Parvin of Wanderlost Vintage and Claire Schilhabel, formerly of Mamushka Marie.

In the past, Light worked at a Madison vintage shop called Epoch. There, she had the chance to develop her eye. Like Parvin and Schilhabel, she had been collecting vintage long before. She said she enjoys finding and researching the pieces she finds. With Bettie Page bangs, red lipstick and glasses, Light looks like an indie librarian. And, it turns out, she is in librarian school at the University of Wisconsin.

“It creates a buzz. Like, oh, it’s there just a few days – so, you gotta go,” Parvin said. “We’ll have new stuff coming in during the week.”

“We have tons of new stuff,” Light agreed.

The Vintage Madison ladies take two or three days to load in the event. This includes Parvin’s department store display case, several racks of clothing and mannequins. Additionally, the Vintage Madison mavens put down carpets and spruce up the place with housewares and knickknacks that are, of course, for sale.

Bringing together the do-it-yourself energy of the Project Lodge, Vintage Madison’s wares creates something unique.

“It’s been a nice social atmosphere. We have DJs, food and drinks. The Project Lodge is a real social place where people can just hang out,” Light said. “It’s just really fun. We have fun. The people coming in have fun.”

Claire Schilhabel’s vintage attention is mostly taken up by working at the Good Style Shop on East Wash these days. Her Vintage Madison participation includes working on events like last week’s fashion show and the pop-up shop.

“It’s a store that kind of comes up out of nowhere. It’s sort of a [shopping] destination,” Schilhabel enthused. “With so many different sellers, you get the best of everything.”

Schilhabel describes herself as a “hunter-gatherer.” Through Vintage Madison events, she’s expanded her experience styling. Her newest project will be something like a lifestyle blog.

“We do have men’s clothing,” Light added. “Bring your boyfriend [or male bestie].”

Vintage Madison’s Pop-up Shop will be open Sept. 12-18 from 12-8 p.m. For more information, check out www.vintage-madison.com or its Facebook page.