Foo Fighters take sonic risks with fervent instrumentals

foo_fighters
‘Wasting Light’ will be Foo Fighters’ first album since 1997 to list guitarist Pat Smear as an official member.[/media-credit]

The Foo Fighters are like a good wine. Their taste perfects with age. Seventeen years in the making and Foo Fighters’ newest album, Wasting Light, confirms they certainly have not lost their inspiration. The name “Foo Fighters” actually comes from a World War II term used for unexplainable flying flames in the air. It’s safe to say Wasting Light coincides perfectly with their name, as the band’s spark of talent is still aflame. 

One of the best aspects of this album is the more the songs are played, the better they get. At first, the previously-released “Rope” has a sound similar to any rock band track: rough vocals, angry percussion and furious strumming of an electric guitar. But as the song is played again, the rough vocals are what complement the chord progression. The electric guitar solo is extremely impressive, as the speed in which it is played seems unthinkable.

“Arlandria” showcases one of the best varieties of the Foo Fighters’ talent, as it contains a wild mix of emotion amid a slightly mellower tone. This includes a creative use of lyrics as well: “Use me up, spit me out/ Let me be your hand-me-down/ Fame, fame, go away, come again some other day.”

This vulnerability is expressed with vivacity and creativity, as the catchiness of the instrumentals never goes too far to be considered “mainstream.” This ensures they keep their fiery attitude while still tapping into deeper emotions than just rage.

To all the most loyal fans of the Foo Fighters, “These Days” and “Back and Forth” exemplify the classic tone of the band, and if there are two songs to be listened to on this album, it’s these two. Emotionally driven choruses pick up tempo as the songs plunge forth into a sea of heavy drumming and raging electric guitar. Not all songs tie into each other, however, as “White Limo” is more ear-piercing than “ear-gasm” worthy.

With muffled vocals and a screamo-like quality, this track is extremely difficult to listen to, and what it is doing to the vocal chords of Dave Grohl is unimaginable. Yes, some screaming every now and then is so rock ‘n’ roll, but the Foo Fighters really don’t need this to have a complete album. Thankfully, this track is a mere pebble in the road amid an overall smooth quality.

There is some variety to Wasting Light, as there is more to the album than just drumming and electric guitar. The hint of violin adds to the regretful tone of “I Should Have Known,” and “Walk” may start off as slow and serene, but don’t be fooled because this is the Foo Fighters we’re talking about. A song is not complete without at least some sort of fervent instrumentals.

As proven, the Foo Fighters have no intention of slowing down. By sticking to what they’re good at – along with taking a few musical risks here and there – they may be Wasting Light, but they’re certainly not wasting time to polish their sound.