Sk8er gurl still writing for angsty teenage audience

After nine (questionable) tattoos, five number one hit singles, one divorce and a bizarre relationship with Laguna Beach’s infamous playboy, Brody Jenner, Canada’s infamous Sk8er Gurl is back with a highly anticipated fourth album, Goodbye Lullaby, hitting charts tomorrow.

Yet, after a three-year hiatus and what we all hoped might be some growing up, Avril Lavigne remains the same punk pop princess we knew and loved back in the early 00’s – with nothing new to bring to the musical table.

Before there was Ke$ha, Katy Perry or T-Swift, Avril Lavigne gave angsty tweenage girls the answers to life’s difficult questions, like how to express yourself when faced with posers (“I see the way you’re actin’ like you’re somebody else, gets me frustrated”), or the best way to convince your crush you belong together (“Hey, Hey, You, You, I don’t like your girlfriend”). 

The Vans wearing, plaid-toting Canuck has been a guilty pleasure for nearly a decade with hits like “My Happy Ending” and the more recent “Girlfriend.” However, her latest album doesn’t offer a mature or age-appropriate Avril, but more of the same pint-sized energy from years past. More or less, we’ve seen it before, we’ve heard it before, but for die-hard Avril fans, more of the same isn’t a terrible thing, eh?

Goodbye Lullaby has been in the works for over three years and consists of personally-written ballads about letting go of past loves, fighting for new ones and saying I don’t give a f@#% what you think – I’m Avril Lavigne! Yet, after a decade of self-reflection and significant life experience, Goodbye Lullaby could have potentially been a platform of depth and sincerity not previously seen before. Unfortunately, after all these years, Lavigne hasn’t let go of her tough-girl attitude, leaving the serious stuff for other young hopefuls with a bit more depth and something significant to say (Adele, anyone?).

The first single off the record, “What the Hell,” follows the same predictable formula of Lavigne’s past hit singles such as “Sk8er Boi” and “Girlfriend,” giving fans another song to add to the “Girl Power” iPod playlist. At 27 years old, Lavigne seems a little old for holding onto this attitude. However, while it’s nothing life-changing, the track is bouncy, energetic and youthful.

The rest of Goodbye Lullaby is more of the same, sounding like the lesser known tracks on Avril albums of the past. Her track, “Smile,” could be the “Anything Ordinary” of this album, reminding listeners of just how “alternative” Lavigne is. We know – you have tattoos and wear lots of eyeliner. The shock factor has worn off.

However, it is when Lavigne slows things down that the soul of the album peaks its head through the nostalgic mess of the past. On her crooning, “Not Enough,” Lavigne finds a nice balance between acoustic reflection and rock n’ roll angst. A possible expression of lost memories with ex-husband, Deryck Whibley, “Not Enough” shows a mature side of Lavigne that could have added to her fluffy album tremendously.

The album finishes on a strong note with a cover of Joan Jett’s “Bad Reputation,” reminding fans exactly why Lavigne was so powerful in the first place. She doesn’t give a damn about her reputation, and we love her for it. However, without much depth or meaning behind the tracks on this latest album, her confidence falls as flat as her ironed straight hair, making us wonder – have you found your happy ending yet, Avril? Maybe next time.

1.5 stars out of 5