Designer Drugs aim to remix your boring Saturday night

Once upon a time, three or four years ago, New York stole away Michael Vincent Patrick and Theodore Paul Nelson from, where else? Philly. Good move. The duo remixed their way to claim dominance in the “concrete jungles where dreams are made of.” YouTube them. You’ve listened to their remixes of Mariah Carey, Chiddy Bang and Thieves Like Us, and if you haven’t, just do it.

They’ve logged a self professed “over 300,000 miles” in flights from country to country, remixing and scratching for the throngs of fans who scream Designer Drugs. But between the achievements, worthy of boasting, and the interview, which interrupted their going over financials – namely personal taxes – it’s a relief when Patrick answers a question about his readiness for this interview by responding, “Sure, hit me.”

He’s almost nonchalant, not rushed, and even schooled me for a few minutes in dubstep and the potential for the future of that genre of music – not that Designer Drugs is taking that step anytime soon.

But he knows what he’s talking about. Soon it becomes apparent they’re very much aware of the genres of music out there and in a way, do seep into their style. “I listen to some pretty chill music because we’re in the clubs all the time and making electronic music,” Patrick said. But there’s an underlying motive.

To reveal that Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, HTRK and Mellow Brave are among the slew of artists on Patrick’s iTunes account, he leaves open the possibility that though they’re all about electro now, a Designer Drugs album later down the road could be all Hip Hop, dubstep or whatever else it is that culture dictates.

“We’re part of society and everything around us is inspiring us. We didn’t plan it to be like that, and we’ve been listening to a lot of stuff. Who knows where culture will take us,” Patrick revealed.

Their own album, Hardcore/Softcore, splits between what is a “diverse emotional aesthetic” upon incorporating hardcore songs and “some relatively pretty songs.” They’ve selected from a library of over 100 songs and “chose ones that we thought most appropriate for our tastes and also most appropriate to work together for an album. We wrote a few songs and finished all of them and made them sound as cohesive as possible.”

They’re constantly experimenting with genres while keeping in touch with their DJing and techno roots, despite relishing the changes dictated by the ever-evolving music culture and catering their material appropriately.

“We want to enjoy it. If we made records like our first remixes, we would be the most bored record producers in the world. Where the music comes from is always going to be the same,” Patrick said. “Most albums for bands change year to year because society changes, the equipment they use changes, their personal mood changes. Someone’s first album could be in a totally different psychological state than their last album.”

There are rare occasions the Designer Drugs duo are outside the music world and on the concrete streets despite their gigs schedule. Patrick prefers to linger in the Lower East Side, primarily walking or taking the subway. “I usually stay in the neighborhood, I like taking the subway. It’s nice. You get to see a lot of people mixed together. I love it.” On the other hand, Nelson is attending med school in the city. 

We’ve established that Designer Drugs is traveling all around the world from venue to venue from culture to culture, but one revelation in itself is somewhat of a paradox. Patrick isn’t a fan of standing in front of the inevitable massive crowds during performances. “I’m actually not a big fan of being in front of people. I don’t like attention, I don’t like the spotlight. When we get onstage, we enjoy people having a good time. So that’s what I enjoy most about being on stages.”

But it begins to make sense that he chose New York City. There, you’re just another animal darting and dodging bankers, journalists, students and the like instead of crazed fans, and if you’re that popular, the paparazzi.

So I had to ask if this musician would consider a Mousehead for his shows.

“I’d prefer a Robothead, Mouseheads are for ugly DJs,” Patrick joked.

Designer Drugs will be playing at the Majestic Theatre Saturday, March 5 at 9 p.m. Tickets are $15.