Become a more diverse, socially responsible lover

How many pairs of shoes do you have? How about sweaters? Are they all the same color? The same style? Probably not. Like most Americans, we enjoy some variety. Why not do the same with the condoms we wear when we play with the pretty blonde boy at Memorial Library? 

There are so many choices and so many new options coming onto the market that I thought it would be appropriate to highlight a few sex-wear items that don’t get as much air time as Trojans. Many of the condoms below have extra perks beyond good ol’ protection.

Have you heard of the One for One Movement? Buy a pair of TOMS shoes, another pair is donated to a child in need. Well the movement has expanded to include condoms! For every Sir Richard’s condom that you buy, another is donated to a country in need of safer sex supplies. 

Not only are you ensuring that you and your partner are safely pleasured, you are also doubling the impact by providing condoms for someone who can’t afford them. And we aren’t talking about plain condoms either. The four different varieties include ribbing and studs to increase your partner’s sensations. Talk about a mission to change the world for the better, one pleasuring condom at a time!

Want to decrease the rate of STIs while saving the environment? The Original Condom is a simple latex condom that comes with silicone lubricant, similar to other condoms. The difference with this condom is that the company is committed to the environment by offsetting its carbon emissions. It also donates yearly to NGOs working to stop the spread of HIV. And for the Madisonian that worries about the impact of condoms after they are used? You will be happy to know these latex condoms are biodegradable (in the right conditions).

Tired of attempting to grip a lubed condom while pulling it over a penis? Try the new Sensis condoms. These condoms are designed with little strips on the sides, to quickly help roll the condom onto the penis. The strips come off after the condom is fully rolled down. 

The strips allow for the condom to be put on quickly, as they eliminate the uneven pressure from your hands. This is in the case of an average size penis (between 5 and 6 inches). The condoms do not come in extra large, which could potentially impinge on partners with appendages a little larger in length or girth. 

The Micro-Dot Ribbed condom is designed to increase pleasure for both partners, with dots on the outside and ribbing on the inside. Take a moment to visualize all the ways those dots and ribs could be put to good use…

All the condoms I’ve mentioned are designed to go on a penis or a dildo. You might be wondering if there are any condoms that can be used by people with anuses and/or vaginas. Enter the FC2 condom, commonly known as the Female Condom, although the name is quite the misnomer as it can be used on males and females. 

In the shape of a pouch with a plastic ring on the outside (to keep the condom open and in place) and a plastic ring on the inside (to guide with insertion), this condom can be smoothly inserted into the anus or vagina up to eight hours in advance of intercourse. You could roll out of bed in the morning and pop one in, knowing that you will be ready to jump your partner the moment they join you for your lunch break. 

This condom doesn’t have any fancy bells or whistles (besides lots of lubricant), but its unique design allows for greater room for the inserting partner and greater control for the receiving partner. The FC2 condom is also made out of nitrile. Although not biodegradable, it is resistant to oils, so can be safely used with any oil-based lube or cream that you so desire.

I have had many men tell me that condoms tend to numb the sensations of sex. This can sometimes be a positive thing, especially if you want your penis to last longer. But if you want a little extra kick while protecting you and your partner, check out Pleasure Plus condoms. 

These condoms have a little added pouch of looser material just below the head of the penis. The extra room increases friction, which in sexy lubed terms equals increases in pleasure. Couple that with ribs that line the inside of the condom, and you have the perfect combination for an orgasmicly safe playtime with your partner.

All the condoms discussed are available online and in sex toy stores. The majority are also available at your local Walgreens or Copps. Going to do a little shopping for a new pair of jeans this weekend? Add condoms to that list and check out all the different choices, shapes and textures in the condom aisle at your local store!

This article was written by Nicolette Pawlowski. Nicolette is a trained sexual health educator and a graduate student in EPS. Have a question in regards to condoms, sex or relationships? E-mail [email protected].