Aguilar ruminates in prep for Galactic

galactic
New Orleans jazz-hip hop ensemble Galactic with acclaimed vocal guest Corey Glover will hit the Majestic Theatre in a weekday performance Thursday.[/media-credit]

Late on a hot and sticky Saturday at Bonnaroo 2007, Galactic coolly strolled up on stage and woke us the hell up. For those who haven’t experienced Bonnaroo, it’s a music festival in Tennessee that 80,000 music lovers flock to from all over the world to enjoy. With all the great bands in the line-up, it was often hard to choose between them. Having come with my cousin and his buddies – jam band fanatics – I soon realized that in order to see the hip-hop I came to see, I would have to go with people I met from around our neighboring camping zone.

It was three days into the festival on a Saturday night, and my cousin, his friends and I finally ended up at the same show. Ironically, it was a group we hadn’t heard of before, Galactic. 

I had been drawn in by the array of underground rappers that were to perform alongside them like Chali 2na from Jurassic 5 and Gift of Gab from Blackalicious. Meanwhile my cousin was there because Galactic was also known to get into some serious jam sessions. Once the show started, though, it didn’t matter why we there because something unbelievable happened. Everyone absolutely loved it. 

The atmosphere was, for lack of a better work, off the chain. Everyone in the crowd was bouncing whether they had on fitted caps or hemp necklaces. People were screaming, dancing or just watching in awe. It isn’t every day that you see genres fused so successfully. My cousin and I had finally come to an understanding. 

My cousin realized how good lyricists can make jamming better, and I had to admit, the jam sessions were as funky as we were (Bonnaroo had no showers.) As a hip-hop fan, it was the drums that had me hooked. There was “boom-bap” for the hip-hop heads while and complicity for the jam band fans. Improvisational melodies enhanced the rappers’ verses in ways that I had never heard before. From that eye-opening show, my cousin and I both grew substantially more open to different types of music. 

Genre-bending Galactic will do that to you.

Galactic is a versatile funk and jazz band from New Orleans. Going through an evolution since the band’s formation in the early 90’s, Galactic has moved from the traditional New Orleans funk to a more modern style incorporating elements of hip-hop, electronica and jazz. 

You really don’t know what to expect until you’re hearing it, though, and you can’t help but get taken away by a group of musicians that truly enjoy performing. This is the type of band that lives to perform live, and you could tell from their stage persona they would probably do it for free if they had to. 

Passion like that makes a concert exponentially better, and it will be surprising if it’s anything less than amazing when they perform at the Majestic Theatre Thursday. Grammy award-winning vocalist Corey Glover, from metal-funk outfit Living Colour, will also be in town performing alongside Galactic. I can’t tell you exactly how it’s going to sound, especially since this show will be featuring a rock singer as opposed to rappers, but what I can tell you is that it promises to be innovative and unlike anything you’ve ever heard.

Galactic will be performing at the Majestic Theatre Thursday at 8 p.m. Tickets are $18 in advance, $20 at the door.