Fefe Dobson makes ‘joyful’ return to pop

[media-credit name=’Island’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]fefe-dobson-joy-album-cover[/media-credit]

Fefe Dobson has risen from the grave.

Fefe Dobson released her first hit album back in 2003 with much success; everyone was swept away with her punk rock charm that closely resembled Avril Lavigne. But by Dobson’s second attempt at an album, enthusiasm was lost. Her second album Sunday Love was never even released, leaving many to wonder if this was the end of Dobson.

Although her second album failed her, one track was given a second chance to come to life with Jordin Sparks’ new twist on “Don’t Let it Get to Your Head.” The cover slowly brought attention back to Dobson who needed to make a few changes in order to make it big again. Seven years later Dobson has finally busted back into the music scene with her latest album Joy.

Dobson has steered away from her tomboy, punk rock look and has emerged with a more retro-feminine appearance. Her change in style is only the beginning. The punk rock artist has also changed from Avril Lavigne into a singer with a mature pop sound more like Rihanna; a welcomed difference with her newest album.

Her most popular single, “Stuttering,” captures this new polished pop sound perfectly. On the verge of almost sounding too bubbly, Dobson is able to hold her edge with a sharp chorus and empowering theme. Instead of creating a sad song about being cheated on, the singer gets angry, confident and strong. This anger creates a catchy song with a powerful tone.

“Ghost” is another popular number that will keep fans captivated. A song about haunting a cheating ex-boyfriend is unfortunately something a lot of girls can relate to. Dobson is able to show off her superb vocals by placing emphasis on her new smooth sound. Taking a step away from her screaming, almost nasally vocals in her early “Its Just a Stupid Little Love Song,” makes her an artist to watch this year.

Despite her mature turn around, Dobson still knows how to have fun. “I Want You” is not a song meant to be taken too seriously. She has fun with the desires and lust behind having a high school crush. Almost being overly dramatic about her lust makes this fast, edgy beat something fun to listen to. This song will satisfy anyone with an urge to perform their craziest dance moves.

“Watch Me Move” also touches upon Dobson’s old roots, while still making her new, mature sound shine. This sound combines elements of rock and pop that could easily compare her to a modern day Joan Jett. This upbeat tune will put everyone on their feet in celebration of the modern twist on old school rock. It will be almost impossible to sit still with the level of energy she creates with the loud music and exciting vocals.

It took her seven years from her last released album, but the time only helped her to perfect her new sound for Joy

Dobson’s music is no longer dead. It has returned more alive than ever before.

4 stars out of 5