Porn hardcore enough for Republicans and 11 year olds

If you are an avid Hump Day reader, you may remember the porn review that Suzy Baker and I wrote over a year and a half back. One reader expressed dissatisfaction with the article and wanted to know:

“How many people watch porn? Who watches porn? What kind of porn is there, and what if I only like a certain kind? Do couples watch porn together? How can porn help or hinder a relationship? What possible effects does porn-watchin’ have on one’s own development of sexual tastes and experiences”?

Hump Day values constructive criticism and loves to satisfy the needs of our readers. So here goes:

How many people watch porn? It’s an honest question, and not one that gets asked often in a scholarly setting. The numbers vary according to the form of porn, but for online content, 36% of people who browse the internet visit at least one porn site a month (comScore, 2008). Now keep in mind that number doesn’t include the millions of people who have hundreds of clips downloaded onto their computer already, or the video and rental sales from sex toy and video stores. The AVN Media Network made close to $4 million in video sales alone in 2006.

Who watches porn? Everyone. According to one study (Edelman, 2009), conservatives in red states consume more online porn than liberals. Needless to say, people of all ages – average age of exposure to online porn is 11 – in all different types of relationships – married couples also consume porn – and beliefs – don’t let a Republican fool you, he has a Taboo Magazine under his pillow – love pornography.

Pornography, like condoms, comes in all different shapes and flavors. From specific sex acts – anal, oral, facials, squirting – to different scenarios and story lines – from the naughty school boy to the horny stay-at-home mom – pornography can fulfill every desire and fantasy that you have had since childbirth. 

The point of porn is to turn you on and potentially get you off. Some porn videos might not do that for you, while others can trigger something instantaneously erotic. Trust me; there is a porn out there for you. Like finding your favorite food, you may have to try several things in the buffet before you can find something that completely satisfies you.

Many people have questioned the effects of porn. Even the federal government got involved. From the 1960’s all the way into the 1980’s, commissions were created to study the negative effects of pornography. Lo and behold, no one could find any negative effects. It has been argued that people have negative associations with porn due to the fact that sexuality is not celebrated in our society. Many people are uncomfortable with their own bodies; it’s no wonder that they may feel a bit guilty jacking off to a man getting head.

Of course, as with every man-made product, there are some bad porn movies and disreputable companies. Google the word “sex”, and you will find millions of porn sites popping up. The most commonly viewed tend to be very derogatory towards women. Whether the bitch is gagging on some meat or taking it up the ass against her will, many of the porn scenes are not only showing unsafe sex, but also ignoring consent and pleasure for all parties involved. 

Now I am NOT suggesting that such porn is unhealthy, or that it will lead to risky and detrimental behavior. What I am suggesting is that in a society that does very little to educate their citizens in regards to healthy, pleasurable and consensual sex, and when mainstream porn is the only venue for such education, some people may begin their sexual rendezvous with distorted ideas about what sex should be like. Fantasy play can be a great way to get off. The only issue arises if you begin to think that sort of sex is acceptable in the real world.

Porn can be a great sex toy within a relationship. Whether you want to have something turn you both on for the night, or would like to give your partner some new ideas about what can be done in your own bedroom, pornography can be a great way to jump start some sexual play time.

In order to stimulate my writing about porn, I did a little research into the most popular porn videos that a video store here in Madison has. The man who helped me explained that typically college boys come in to check out porn, though many times they don’t want to browse in the aisle, so ask one of the staff for recommendations. 

A couple of friends and I sat down to take a look at Girls Gone Wild, Debbie Does Dallas, and Rebelle Rousers. Girls Gone Wild got the worst reviews. One of the viewers did mention that the raw fantasy factor of simply asking girls to strip may be a bit of a turn on, however the choppiness and speed with which the camera flipped from one girl to the next was too quick to give any real appreciation. 

Debbie Does Dallas had the highest ratings. Apart from the movie being quite old, there were a lot of nice long scenes of many couples having sex, and several scenes of both men and women getting off. 

Rebelle Rousers was a bit more modern and a bit on the kinky side (we liked the stiletto gag), but while they tried for some plot, the scenes cut to the chase a bit too quick for us. Now we also took a look at some online porn. Beautiful Agony and YouPorn were really great, especially since YouPorn caters to all different tastes and preferences. I Feel Myself was immensely erotic and hot. And then of course, Kink.com, for the safe, sane and consensual BDSM porn in every stripe and bond.

There are some incredible porn videos and clips out there. Make tonight a movie night and explore what turns you on!

This article was written by Nicolette Pawlowski. Nicolette is a trained sexual health educator and a graduate student in EPS. All questions are from real readers. Keep ’em coming! E-mail: [email protected].