‘Whiskey’ needs no chaser: Country crooner succeeds

When Kenny Chesney’s new single, “The Boys of Fall,” was released this summer, football fans around the nation rejoiced. Finally, here was a song that evoked the fraternity and passion of one of America’s favorite pastimes, and America embraced it for the heartfelt anthem it was. As the first song on Chesney’s latest album, it sets the tone for a reflective, story-driven collection, in which Chesney seeks to evoke a great amount of sentiment and his usual solid musicality.

Chesney’s new album, Hemingway’s Whiskey, is his first collection of all new music since 2008’s Lucky Old Sun. Every track is chock full of emotion as Chesney uses music to look fondly back on everything from family travels to the beach in the charming, cheery “Coastal,” to his small town roots in the touching “Where I Grew Up.” The melodic and moving “Seven Days” harkens back to memories of days long gone and is, along with “The Boys of Fall,” one of Chesney’s most touching forays into nostalgia.

The true gems of this album, however, are the collaborative pieces. The first – “You And Tequila” – is a laid-back, vocally driven duet featuring the sweet tones of Grace Potter, and it is one of Whiskey’s best. The duet works very well, as the simple guitar accompaniment is just understated enough to allow Potter and Chesney’s refreshingly well-matched voices to shine. The second collaborative song on Hemingway’s Whiskey is “Small Y’all,” the most traditional-sounding country song on the entire album. It is an enjoyable remake of a song previously recorded by both George Jones and Randy Travis, and Jones himself is featured in Chesney’s version, giving the song a true old country edge.

And then, of course, there are Chesney’s classic radio-ready tunes, like the up-beat “Live A Little” and “Reality,” both of which – while not exactly oozing with originality – manage to balance catchy hooks with inspiring lyrics that are sure to make them instant hits. Their messages are rather similar, as well: “Live A Little” optimistically urges its listeners to “have some fun” in their busy lives, while “Reality” acknowledges a need for escape from the tougher side of life. These two tracks in particular feature that conventional Chesney sound that will be appreciated by fans of his other albums.

The more creative, less country-sounding “Round and Round” stands out from the rest, as does the guitar-filled, tongue-twisting “Somewhere With You.” These songs show a new side of Chesney, one that sounds more like pop than country, but it is a refreshing change from the more standard melodies found on the rest of the album. The last song, the title track, is a remake of a song written by the legendary Guy Clark, and even though Chesney manages to stay true to Clark’s original sound, the song lacks oomph and is sadly not too memorable. The deluxe version of the album also includes two bonus tracks. The first – “Ain’t Ever Going Back Again” – leaves something to be desired in originality, but the personal touch behind “I Didn’t Get Here Alone” provides a fitting end to a solid album.

Hemingway’s Whiskey is a comfortably strong collection for Chesney, as what it lacks in originality it makes up for in heart. It is a promising new start for the country singer and should be a hit among fans.

4 out 5 stars