Suburban white boys reinvent local rap scene

Self-described as the Wu Tang Clan pursuing Bachelor’s degrees, a new local rap sensation will be making its stage debut this Friday night at The Pub.

“No one has ever seen drunk white Catholic school kids rap/ yell into microphones live at this caliber before,” said X-Tra Mayo, lead vocalist and producer of Lite Skinded.

Straight off the playgrounds of New Berlin, Wis., Lite Skinded broke the chains of its white suburban upbringing and is reinventing the virtually non-existent rap scene in the state of Wisconsin.

“We’ve been listening to rap our whole lives, and you know, that’s who listens to rap, white suburban kids,” said EZPZ, one of two principle members of Lite Skinded. “That’s why Eminem got big, so, I figure, why can’t we get big?”

In a sit-down interview with The Badger Herald, the duo explained they started to write down rap lyrics when they were in high school.

X-Tra Mayo, Lite Skinded’s other half, said he and EZPZ used to joke about how easy it was to rap, noting one of their first lyrics: ‘Nekeesha’s got an orange coat, that coat is very orange.’

After finally collecting enough material, the duo launched its first album, Sugar Jammz in January.

Elevating its lyrical prowess, the group drew inspiration from both filthy gangster rap and suburban living. The result? Fifteen tracks of hilarious rhetoric in songs such as, “Vegetable Rap,” “I Loves Bitches” and “X’s and Ho’s.”

Although Lite Skinded is stepping on the scene as amateurs, skeptical listeners will likely be surprised by the group’s sound.

With original beats from percussionist Saltine Dream and verses like: “I loves ’em on the pill, I loves ’em when they fertile/ I loves ’em in them short shorts running hundred meter hurdles” (“I Loves Bitches”), it’s hard not to be at least slightly amused.

Superfan Ricky Ghoshroy, who was one of the first people to receive a copy of the album, said people have to be crazy not to like Lite Skinded’s rhymes.

“I picked that thing up after a basketball game, took it home, stuck it in my computer and it told me to ‘shut the f*** up and learn something,’ and I just knew it was going to be amazing,” Ghoshroy added.

Their first music video, “On the Bassline (feat. Business Casual),” was released on YouTube at the beginning of May.

Business Casual is a member of “The Fam,” X-Tra Mayo explained, which, like the Wu Tang Clan, is the extended part of the group with an indefinite number of members who make irregular appearances with Lite Skinded both in the studio and on stage.

“Business Casual is a little deeper with his rhymes,” X-Tra Mayo said. “They’re almost over your head.”

Since its video premiered on the Internet, EZPZ said Lite Skinded’s popularity has become somewhat of a “hype machine” among friends and friends of friends.

“You really can’t stop the hype train once it starts rolling,” X-Tra Mayo said.

When Lite Skinded takes the stage Friday night, it expects the place to be filled with groupies, and the group members might even throw down a few surprises.

“We’re thinking about having chocolate milk and spraying the crowd, and we might put buckets of Flamin’ Hots on the front of the stage,” EZPZ said.

Both are excited to be performing at The Pub for their premiere show.

“I couldn’t have picked a better first venue,” X-Tra Mayo said. “The whole demographic is just really what we’re going for, homeless guys and college kids.”

Lite Skinded will perform its “quality, low-budget rap” between Playground of Sound and Scanner Dan & the Master Plan, sometime between 11 p.m. and 12 p.m. this Friday, April 30.

A quote was paraphrased from the original copy.