Get a peek inside Oye’s ‘Mind’

Oye_LK
Milwaukee native Oye, otherwise known as Karl Iglesias, proves to be a lot more that what meets the eye: In addition to hip hop, he\’s a skilled poet and playwright.[/media-credit]

If you want this feature in a nutshell, here it is: When given recourse to a computer, go to the website provided below and download the EP “In My Mind,” featured on the right hand side of the screen. It’s good music, you’d be supporting a deserving local artist and it’s free.

For a sophomore at UW who has already shared the stage with artists like Wale, Rhymefest and Ludacris, ?Oye! (real name: Karl Iglesias) speaks in a way that is tremendously relieving. His self-assurance is complemented by a kind of authenticity that can only stem from good humor and genuine self-awareness.

“Have you read my press release? It’s basically bullshit free,” laughs Oye.

For Oye, things have come together remarkably quickly. Over the course of a few months, he, as well as local producer Klassic and mentor Rafael Casal, have dropped an EP that contains the kind of foresight and confidence one would expect of a hip-hop veteran. Perhaps even more striking is the fully developed realism that carries the EP.

“I realize that people are only willing to listen for a short amount of time. I’m guilty of that myself; I listen to something for maybe 30 seconds and then move on,” Oye said. “So for this EP, my goal isn’t to tell somebody everything about myself, I just want to make a good first impression. I want to give them something they can grasp on quickly.”

Even within the EP’s short playing time, Oye strikes a far-ranging set of moods and personalities. The opening track, “O.Y.E.,” is bursting with confidence — it has the kind of force of character and braggadocio that hip-hop seems to inherently require. Yet, right after that it transitions into an introspective, piano-laden track that seems to completely contradict the attitude of the first track, both lyrically and aesthetically.

“I want the EP to be a trip inside my head,” Oye said. “And I think to do that you have to explore the different ways you feel at different times. For example, there are some days when you feel as humble as the dirt you walk on. But on other days, you know, you feel a little bit taller. I’m not saying that’s how I always feel, but there are days in which I do and I want to be honest about my character on each track.”

Of course, part of what makes the “In My Mind” EP stand out is the strength of its production. Each track carries a beat that changes to reflect the mood of each song but never loses the kind of propulsive groove that kicks off the album.

“It was really exciting to work with Klassik, who, I felt understood the idea of the album completely,” he said. “My peers and I rely on each other for feedback — we constantly challenge each other and help each other progress.”

Despite the fractured nature of the album, the desire to remain cohesive is apparent. The EP focuses on trying to maintain the semblance of an overall character, while also pushing Oye’s Puerto Rican background to the forefront.

“I want to represent myself well so I represent my city and Latinos better,” Oye said. “It’s a little a daunting because on the national level there hasn’t been somebody from Milwaukee to break through. So while I’m young, I’m still trying to figure out where I stand against other people, but I want to make sure to create a good impression because what I do impacts my city and my culture.”

Despite his current emphasis in hip hop, Oye doesn’t limit himself to music. He’s published several pieces of poetry as well as a play, which he performed recently in New York. For Oye, his work in any branch of art is part of holistic drive forwards in becoming a consummate artist.

“I would say that I’m at many different levels in my artistic career,” says Oye. “For example, I may not be 100 percent there in the performing arts, I may not even be 75 percent there, but my development in each one helps out the other facets…I want to always be moving forwards.”

The EP concludes on its most introspective and emotionally open moment with the song “Circles,” in which Oye asks for support from his listeners. “Please,” he asks, “have a little faith.”

If a little faith is all it takes for Oye to continue on his current trajectory, the future of his career looks extremely promising.

The “In My Mind” EP can be found at Oye414.com for free download. Oye also has upcoming shows in Milwaukee on March 25 and 31.