All-star cast scores with sappy storyline

After a weekend of singing cards, roses, chocolates and overblown gestures of love, many may be just about all sapped out. Ready to return to normal work schedules, classes and the already wilting $50 rose bouquets, more gushy Valentine’s Day celebration is probably the last thing on anyone’s mind.

But, don’t toss those corsages and stilettos to the side just yet. “Valentine’s Day,” directed by Garry Marshall (“Georgia Rule”), is an undeniably mainstream, yet, witty and entertaining romantic comedy that may be just the reason to extend Cupid’s favorite holiday a bit longer this year.

Set in the middle of Los Angeles, the film follows the lives of an all-star cast of characters during the most important day of the year for lovers and the most painful for singles, Feb. 14. From engagements to breakups to cheating husbands and crazy expressions of love, we get a little dose of it all. Whether you spend Valentine’s Day with that special someone or at home, wallowing in self-pity with chocolates and your cat, Fluffy, this movie has something for everyone.

The highly sought-after cast includes Julia Roberts (“Duplicity”) as a returning soldier, Ashton Kutcher (“What Happens in Vegas”) as a sweet and lovesick florist, Anne Hathaway (“Bride Wars”) as the office assistant who moonlights as a phone sex operator, Jennifer Garner (“Ghosts of Girlfriends Past”) as the romantically na?ve school teacher and a slew of other Hollywood A-listers.

The film packs a punch right off the bat with its hugely popular cast ranging from the young newcomer, country starlet Taylor Swift, to the grand Hollywood veteran, Shirley MacLaine (“Coco Chanel”).

From the time the sun rises on Valentine’s Day morning until it sets over the Los Angeles skyline, the film moves along effortlessly. It seems shameless in its cutesy and somewhat overly fluffed storyline, but it works. Filled with both witty moments and cringe-worthy acts of devotion, the film, even with its multilayered storyline, skips along surprisingly smoothly. Even the overblown acts of love can be forgiven. It is, after all, a movie about the most romantic day of the year.

Moviegoers get it all, the budding high school relationship between the jock and the cheerleader (former real life couple Taylor Lautner, “New Moon” and Swift) head over heels in love and completely ignorant of reality, the 30-something best friends who everyone knows are meant for each other (Garner and Kutcher), the single and neurotic hot mess (Jessica Biel, “Planet 51”) and the aged sweethearts celebrating their lifetime together (MacClaine and Hector Elizondo, “Love in the Time of Cholera”). Although the intersecting plotlines can be a bit jumbled at times, the film is easy to follow for the most part. We can all relate in some way to the different relationships, or lack thereof, that each of these characters is going through on this most romantic of days.

We also get an insider’s tour of the inner workings of Los Angeles, one of nation’s favorite cities. From NoHo to the famous flower market and Dodger Stadium, Marshall salutes the city where Hollywood dreams, like his own, come true. It’s hard not to fall in love with such a magical city and the lovers that reside within it.

With such a large, popular cast of actors, it is difficult to find one stand out lead. Biel is exceptionally mortifying in her role as the lonely publicist who vehemently boycotts the sappy holiday, claiming her vibrating blackberry and self-bought chocolates are her only loves. Kutcher’s character, Reed, the sweet and thoughtful florist manager is also surprisingly endearing, coming from an actor who is known much more for his slapstick humor.

However, it is hard to choose a leading man or woman in this flick. Each of the performances is unique and well done, and not a single cast member seems to fall short of expectations. Together they compile a strong and talented cast of Los Angeles romantics.

With the big day coming to a close, this may be the last thing to add to the list of celebrations. With an amazingly talented and popular cast and a strong storyline about loves found and lost, “Valentine’s Day” is pure fun.

So lovers grab your special someone and get ready for a movie chock full of romance and comedy. And singletons, let’s put aside our calorie-packed chocolates and leave Fluffy at home. Who knows, you may find Mr. Right himself sitting just a few seats over.

4 stars out of 5.