Bringing ‘party rock’ to Madison

Kinetix
Kinetix is known for their genre-bending sound and also for their appeal to different audiences.[/media-credit]

If you’re looking for a great show in Madison that appeals to music lovers of all sorts, look no further than the band Rolling Stone has dubbed the “can’t miss story of 2010.”

Kinetix is a Denver-based group that combines influences from several different genres, ranging from soul to ballad. In a recent interview with The Badger Herald, lead guitarist Jordan Linit explained how the group’s individual members all bring something different to the table to create the unique sound that is Kinetix. And that originality is something you don’t want to miss when they perform at the High Noon Saloon Wednesday.

If you’ve been to Minnesota’s 10,000 Lakes Festival in the past four years, you are probably familiar with Kinetix and their ever-growing popularity. But the band’s history in Madison actually started back when they were still working their way to the top.

“Madison is definitely right inside of the 10K circle,” Linit explained, “But our first Madison show was scheduled by fans of ours who just really wanted us to come up to Madison.”

As it turns out, these original fans that Linit speaks of were none other than UW students. And once the city was touched by Kinetix, there was no turning back. The demand for their music has steadily grown throughout the five years of the band’s existence and is certainly not limited to college listeners but includes, as Linit said, a “wide-ranging” audience.

Fans can expect to see Kinetix feed off of the crowd’s energy as usual to create a lively and entertaining atmosphere. In fact, Kinetix’s music falls into a new genre: “party rock.”

“That’s kind of a term that’s been coined by our fans,” Linit said.

This fan-created genre is all too appropriate, since Kinetix has a reputation for turning the

average concert into a real party.

“We want you to have a fun time, forget your everyday worries,” Linit said.

Kinetix is highly regarded for their ability to play a great live show, a talent that is becoming rare nowadays.

“All five of us have a love for performing live,” Linit said. “It makes us happiest.”

After the success of their 2007 album, Talking to Faces, the band continued their progress by preparing a new album, Afraid to Fall, which is scheduled to be released this spring. Andy ROK, guitarist and producer of the Flobots, has signed on to produce Afraid to Fall, the product of a long and dedicated summer’s work. But for Kinetix, it was all completely worthwhile.

“All summer we would just wake up and work on songs. We got to write music all the time, all day, every day.”

Linit described the band life with enthusiasm, and when asked what he liked most about making music for a living, he had a simple reply.

“Pretty much everything … writing songs, traveling from place to place. … We are just really excited to find a sound for our band. We’re happy with the songs, and we really know what we’re going for,” he said.

Kinetix hopes to achieve an album that carries a coherent and well blended flow.

“We’re at the point of polishing off our sound,” Linit explained. “We’re really trying to put out an album that’s enjoyable from start to finish. Not just 15 random songs on a CD, but one piece that flows.”

When asked where he sees Kinetix in the future, Linit had another characteristically simple, optimistic response:

“Doing what we’re doing now. Making albums and playing live shows. … And hopefully, our fans will help us out with that.”

Kinetix is scheduled to play along with Little Marsh Overflow Wednesday at the High Noon Saloon. Tickets are $7.