Mat Kearney to get “Closer” to Madison Tuesday

Do you happen to be a fan of hidden gem singer/songwriters who have sweet vocals and catchy melodies? If you are, then there is someone coming to town this Tuesday that may be right up your alley.

In 2007, Mat Kearney made it big with his hit “Nothing Left to Lose” and has also been featured as a “You Oughta Know” artist on VH1. Just finished with a tour with Keane, he’s on the road again to promote his new album City of Black and White, and he’ll be in Madison at the Majestic Theatre this Tuesday. In the meantime, the Badger Herald had the pleasure of interviewing the man himself.

“This record is very personal. A lot of the songs feel like I’m singing them to myself,” Kearney said.

This especially rings true with his single, “Closer to Love.”

“There are a lot of stories that make up ‘Closer,'” Kearney said. “That song started with the line ‘I guess were all one phone call from our knees.’ I think we all have had one of those calls.”

Although Kearney was an English major, his love of words soon had him thinking in musical terms. He was soon writing songs for hours on end, and the subjects he was inspired by were across the board.

“Hope, elections, wayward friends, catastrophes, long distances, Nashville, desperation, regret, the grace of God, Istanbul, giddy love, searching, community. Things like that.”

Kearney’s musical influences are also across the board.

“Lately I have really been into Tom Waits. In writing City of Black and White, I was listening to a lot of early 80’s U2 and Springsteen. I wanted to make a big grandiose record like they had.”

Before City of Black and White, Kearney had two albums, the first, Bullet, was released in 2004. The second album, Nothing Left to Lose, was released in 2006 and would quickly launch Kearney into popularity.

“The first record was a fun ride, but it felt like a knife fight,” Kearney said. “Nothing Left to Lose felt like it fell out of the sky, and I’m very grateful.”

With a sudden surge in popularity comes the struggle to balance fame and a private life. But for Kearney, the transition wasn’t difficult.

“In the beginning I had to sort of adjust to a few things that where different. But most of the time I feel relatively normal,” Kearney said. “I live in Nashville by choice because it is a town that values humility. And it has brought me some amazing friends that tell me when I talk about myself to much.”

Although Kearney lives a fairly grounded life, that doesn’t mean he is without his share of crazy fans.

“One time I was reading a book in my favorite coffee shop and this girl walked in with her whole family, grandma and all. She said she was from Ohio and had finally found me. They wanted to take a family portrait with me,” Kearney said.

Kearney also discussed his feelings about Madison and what fans and potentially new fans should expect from his show.

“I love Madison. Who doesn’t?” Kearney said. “People should expect a show that is half part a wooing teenager and half part a burning guest room. You should come on out if you are ready to jump in with us. No arm crossers aloud.”

Mat Kearney will be playing Tuesday at 8 p.m. at the Majestic Theatre.